If you are a CU Boulder student in the College of Engineering, Business, ENVD, Music or CMCI, you can apply to transfer to the College of Arts and Sciences or declare a major using the intra-university transfer (IUT) process. For questions about this process, please contact the Arts and Sciences Academic Operations team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (303) 735-5591. IUT applications are generally processed within 2 weeks of submission.
Check to see if it will transfer before you take it!
- First check Transferology to see if the classes you’re considering have already been evaluated.
- If your class is not in Transferology, use this form to request for the class to be reviewed.
Late drop petitions are requests to drop a class beyond the withdrawal deadline, which can be found on the Office of the Registrar’s website. The petition is used only for unforeseen extenuating circumstances which prevented the student from dropping the class by the posted deadline.
This petition may only be used for students solely enrolled in the College of Arts and Sciences. Students enrolled in multiple programs or colleges must adhere to their primary college of record’s policies.
Filling out the petition does NOT result in automatic approval.
Students are expected to keep attending classes and submitting work until they have received the official outcome of their petition.
Petitions will be accepted until 5 p.m. (MT) on the last day of classes for full session fall and spring classes, or by the withdrawal deadline for any Continuing Education or special session classes. For questions about this process and potential impacts on degree progress, please consult with your academic advisor. For other questions about this process, please contact the Arts and Sciences Academic Operations team at email@example.com or call (303) 735-5591. Late drop petitions are generally processed within 2 weeks of submission of complete petition.
- If you aren't registered in the class, ask your instructor for permission to add.
- Write the department who is teaching the class (e.g. if it is an English class, go to the English department).
Is it the last week of the term or has the semester just ended?
- If you have completed a class but mistakenly were not registered for it, please complete the retroactive add petition below.
- Print the petition and ask for your instructor's help, as they will need to fill out part of it and sign it!
- Electronically submit your petition to firstname.lastname@example.org or bring your completed petition to the Curricular Affairs office in Old Main 1B90 or send it via campus mail UCB 275.
- If your petition is approved, your instructor will then submit a change of record form to add the class to your record.
If you have taken coursework outside of the CU system and your cumulative GPA from CU combined with your grades and credits taken at another institution after your suspension is higher than a 2.000, you can submit this petition.
For questions about this process, please contact the Arts and Sciences Academic Operations team at email@example.com or call (303) 735-5591. Reinstatement petitions are generally processed within 2 weeks of submission of complete petition.
Do you want to take more than 21 credit hours during the fall or spring semester, or more than 16 credit hours during the summer?
For information on credit hour limitations, please see the Registrar's "Get Ready to Register" section. To see the impact on tuition, please see the Bursar's "Tuition and Fee Rate Sheets" page. Credit overload petitions are generally processed within 2 weeks of submission of complete petition and will be reviewed during open enrollment for the requested semester.
- For more information on arts and sciences' policy on pass/fail credit limitations, visit the CU Boulder Catalog's A&S "Requirements" page, click "Credit Limitations," and scroll down to the "Pass/Fail Credit" section. Do have a conversation with your advisor before electing to take a class pass/fail.
- If you are taking a class pass/fail that is not allowed to be pass/fail, please complete the Pass/Fail-to-Graded petition.
- Note: You cannot petition to change a class from graded to pass/fail.
For questions about this process, please contact the Arts and Sciences Academic Operations team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (303) 735-5591. Pass/Fail-to-Graded petitions are generally processed within 1 week of submission of complete petition.
All undergraduate students at CU Boulder have a Primary Major. For students with multiple majors within the College of Arts and Sciences, the Primary Major is the major that was declared first. Students with more than one major in the College of Arts and Sciences can use the Primary Major Designation form to change the order of their declared majors, updating which major is designated as their Primary Major.
Note: A Primary Academic Advisor is assigned to every Primary Major. Primary Academic Advisors play a central role in supporting student success, including serving as a primary conduit for key personalized academic advising communication and graduation certification.
Declaring a Major or Minor in the College of Arts & Sciences
Are you currently declared in a major (including open option) in the College of Arts & Sciences and plan to change your major? Do you plan to add or drop an additional major and/or minor? You can meet with an advisor during their open hours or during a major declaration meeting to change/add to your academic plan.
Students* who wish to add, drop and/or change a major or minor without meeting with an advisor can navigate the menus below their student success team photos in Buff Portal Advising to an online major/minor add/drop request form. These requests are generally processed within 3-5 business days of submission.
*First-year students are required to meet with their advisor to add, drop or change majors and minors.