Students wishing to change or add colleges or schools within the CU Boulder campus must obtain an application from the college or school to which they wish to transfer or add.
Students from another school, college on the CU Boulder campus or the Program in Exploratory Studies, who wish to transfer into the College of Arts and Sciences must meet the following minimum requirements.
Minimum IUT admission requirements for the College of Arts and Sciences:
- 24 credit hours completed, at least 12 credit hours at CU Boulder.
- CU GPA of at least 2.000 in completed coursework
While students may apply to IUT with 24 credit hours in-progress, they will not be considered for admission until they have 24 credit hours completed. Students who apply to IUT must choose a degree-granting major offered by the college. A student cannot IUT into Arts and Sciences and declare an Open Option major.
During their first term at CU Boulder, new students may IUT into Arts and Sciences without meeting the above requirements if they apply before the term census date. Census date is the third Friday of the spring or fall term.
Students should contact an academic advisor in their intended major for additional information about the IUT process.
- It is highly recommended you meet with an academic advisor in your intended major. Students may schedule an appointment with an advisor through Buff Portal Advising.
- Access and submit your application using the A&S IUT application.
Students will be notified via email of the result of their IUT application. Once admitted to Arts and Sciences, students can find their academic advisor assignment and schedule appointments in Buff Portal Advising.
All students who IUT into Arts and Sciences must meet with their assigned academic advisor during their first semester of attendance. During this meeting students will discuss major and degree requirements. Failure to do so will impact future course registration.
Deadlines for admission
IUT applications must be submitted by census date in order to be admitted to the College of Arts and Sciences for that term.
Applications received after census date will be reviewed for admission for an upcoming term.
**Census date is the third Friday of the spring or fall term.
Application processing timeline
IUT applications submitted BEFORE census date will be admitted for the current term if the following criteria has been met:
- Cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher.
- 24 credit hours completed.
IUT applications submitted AFTER census date will be reviewed for admission for the next term if the following criteria has been met:
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher (no exceptions).
- 24 credit hours completed.
IUT applications that do not meet the criteria listed above will be reviewed at the end of the term, once final grades have posted.
A double-degree is different than a double-major. Double-degree indicates that a student is pursing two different programs of study in two different colleges (e.g., a student may be majoring in psychology in A&S and majoring in business administration in the business college) or that the student is pursuing two A&S majors, but one is bachelor of arts (e.g., a bachelor of arts in psychology) and one is bachelor of fine arts (e.g., the student is admitted into the bachelor of fine arts program for acting).
Arts & Sciences requirements
The College of Arts and Sciences recommends that students who are planning to IUT into the college complete the following Arts and Sciences general education coursework before they complete the IUT process:
- A lower-division written communication course.
- A quantitative reasoning and mathematical skills course that is appropriate for their intended Arts and Sciences major.
General A&S degree requirements
- 120 total credit-hours.
- 45 upper-division (UD) credit-hours/18 UD in major.
- 30 minimum credit-hours in major for bachelor of arts/50 for bachelor of fine arts.
- 75 credit-hours outside major.
- 90 credit-hours of Arts and Sciences coursework.
- 2.0 cumulative GPA in all CU Boulder coursework/2.0 GPA in all major coursework.
Credit-hour requirements after matriculation to CU Boulder (residency requirements)
- Complete at least 45 credit-hours on the Boulder campus.
- Complete at least 30 credit-hours in upper-division courses offered by an Arts and Sciences department on the Boulder campus.
- Complete at least 12 credit-hours in upper-division courses that apply to the major on the Boulder campus.
Please visit the catalog for more information.
Minimum Academic Preparation Standards (MAPS)
MAPS refers to the courses that students are expected to take prior to admission to the university. Usually a student’s high school coursework will fulfill these requirements. If a student did not complete MAPS in high school, they will need to complete them before graduation from CU Boulder. One unit of a high school course is equivalent to one semester of a college level course.
- 4 units of English.
- 4 units of math.
- 3 units of natural science, including two years of lab sciences (one of which must be chemistry or physics).
- 3 units of social science, including one year of geography (many out-of-state students need this requirement).
- 3rd-level of a single foreign language = three full years of one language in high school or a third-level college semester.
General Education curriculum requirements
For an overview of A&S's General Education requirements, please visit the catalog.
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
What should I do if I am having trouble logging into OnBase?
- If you are having trouble logging into Onbase, try clearing your cache and cookies. If you don’t want to clear your cache and cookies, try accessing OnBase from a different browser.
- Instructions for clearing your cache.
For further questions, please contact the Arts and Sciences Academic Operations team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For campus-wide information regarding the IUT process, please visit the Office of Undergraduate Education IUT Website.