Eligibility Criteria

Students who do not qualify to submit an adult or parent petition should read the requirements carefully before attempting to petition as an "emancipated minor" (see definition below).

Proving emancipation is extremely rare, and is virtually impossible for most undergraduate students.

What Is Emancipation?

According to Colorado tuition classification statutes, a student who is not yet 23 years of age may qualify as an "emancipated minor" if the student demonstrates complete financial and residential independence, as well as Colorado domicile, for at least one year prior to the first day of classes in the semester for which they are petitioning.

A student who is emancipated receives no financial support from their parents, family, friends or other such sources, including from funds that their parents or others previously established for them.