Published: Feb. 7, 2017
As a student at CU Boulder, it is important to understand your rights regarding access to and disclosure of information in your education record. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords you the right to:
  • inspect and review your education records;
  • request amendment of your education records;
  • consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information in your education records; and
  • file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education (Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, DC 20202-5901).
To review or request an amendment to your record, contact the university office that maintains the record to make arrangements. In the case of grade changes, you must contact your instructor.
Under FERPA, the university may release information from your education record if the disclosure is:
  • to officials of institutions where you seek or intend to enroll, or are enrolled;
  • to authorized representatives of federal, state or local educational authorities;
  • in connection with financial aid for which you have applied or received;
  • to an organization conducting studies for or on behalf of the university;
  • to your parents or guardians (if you are a dependent student for tax purposes);
  • to an accrediting organization;
  • to comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena; or
  • in connection with a health or safety emergency.
Sensitive or non-directory information generally is not released without your written consent. You may restrict the release of directory information by placing full or limited privacy on your record.
For information on authorizing access to your non-directory information, see CU Guest Access and FERPA Consent to Release.
Questions may be directed to the Office of the Registrar. Have a successful semester!
Office of the Registrar
University of Colorado Boulder
20 UCB
Boulder, CO 80309
Phone: 303-492-6970
Fax: 303-492-8748
Follow us @CUBoulder