We believe that each student approaches graduate study with unique and personal goals. The Summer Master of Music Education (MME) degree at the University of Colorado Boulder is designed to address a variety of interests, needs and areas of expertise for K-12 teachers. Students working toward an MME degree complete 12 hours of study in music education, 12 hours of study in music and six hours of open electives (can include study in any area in or outside of music).
Advisors work with you to design flexible degree plans that will allow you to select a combination of coursework and independent study options intended to support focused areas of music study in ensemble conducting (choral and instrumental), musicology, or technology. Additional music education electives address pedagogical practices, curriculum, and assessment in K-12 grade level or group music teaching assignments (K-8 General Music, Middle/High School Music Electives).
We will be updating this page with information on financial aid, summer registration, housing, parking and orientation. Please check back for updates. We look forward to working with you!
Summer MME Admission Requirements
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0* and BME degree or equivalent
- Experience teaching music in K-12 schools (minimum 2-3 years preferred)
- Completion of the application process, including submission of all required materials.
*Note: Applicants with an undergraduate GPA below 3.0 must submit a GRE scores to be considered for admission.
Thank you for your interest in applying to the CU Summer MME Degree. If you have any application or program questions, please email us.
STEP 1 - Review Summer MME Degree Overview (see pg. 2, pdf flyer below), and other materials on this page.
STEP 2 - Complete your online application
You will be prompted to submit several items* including:
- Your personal information
- Written essays: a personal statement (professional goals statement), and your critical issues essay [please upload as ONE document]—See the instructions for the goals statement and issues essay.
- Email contacts for four letters of recommendation from individuals who know the quality of your work. Detailed letters that address specific accomplishments, strengths and weaknesses, work habits and other relevant personal qualities are helpful for the review committee. When soliciting these letters, choose four peope who can address different aspects of your educational background. It is often helpful to provide each reference with a copy of your resume and a short list that suggests qualities and accomplishments that could be addressed by the letter. We ask that you submit at least one letter of recommendation from an academic faculty member (music education preferred). In terms of process, the system will generate a direct email request to your contacts. To expedite review of your file, we suggest you contact individuals writing on your behalf as soon as you have completed the online process so that they can be ready for the request. Find more information about the itemized list.
*Note: No audition or interview is required for the Summer MME Degree. Based on the content of your application, we may contact you for a follow-up interview, but many applicants are admitted based on the strength of their background and materials.
STEP 3 - Submit supplemental admission materials
Unofficial transcripts are accepted for applications. An official transcript is required during the first summer of study. Information on official transcript submission procedure will be provided during orientation.
University of Colorado Boulder
Boulder, CO 80309-0553
You must register for University of Colorado Boulder Continuing Education for the Summer MME. Find more information on the Teacher License Renewal page.