At the College of Music, we believe that each student approaches graduate study with unique and personal goals. Our Summer Master of Music Education degree is designed to address a variety of interests, needs and areas of expertise for K-12 teachers. Students working toward an MME complete 12 hours of study in music education, 12 hours of study in music and six hours of open electives.
Advisors work with you to design flexible degree plans that will allow you to select a combination of coursework and independent study options intended to support focused areas of music study in ensemble conducting (choral and instrumental), musicology or technology. Additional music education electives address pedagogical practices, curriculum and assessment in the K-12 grade level, or group music teaching assignments (K-8 General Music, Middle/High School Music Electives).
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0* and BME degree or equivalent.
- Experience teaching music in K-12 schools (minimum 2-3 years preferred).
- Completion of the application process, including submission of all required materials.
*Note: Applicants with an undergraduate GPA below 3.0 must submit a GRE score to be considered for admission.
Application deadline: March 1, 2024
STEP 1: Summer MME overview
STEP 2: Complete your online application
You will be prompted to submit several items* including:
- Your personal information.
- Written essays: A personal statement (professional goals statement) and your critical issues essay. Please upload as one document: View instructions for the essay.
- Email contacts for three letters of recommendation from individuals who know the quality of your work. Detailed letters that address specific accomplishments, strengths and weaknesses, work habits and other relevant personal qualities are helpful for the review committee. When soliciting these letters, choose three people who can address different aspects of your educational background. It’s often helpful to provide each reference with a copy of your résumé and a short list that suggests qualities and accomplishments that could be addressed by the letter. We ask that you submit at least one letter of recommendation from an academic faculty member (music education preferred). In terms of process, the system will generate a direct email request to your contacts. To expedite review of your file, we suggest you contact individuals writing on your behalf as soon as you have completed the online process so that they can be ready for the request.
- Supplemental materials: unofficial transcripts are accepted for applications. Once accepted into the program, you will be asked to submit an official transcript.
*Note: No audition or interview is required for the Summer MME. Based on the content of your application, we may contact you for a follow-up interview, but many applicants are admitted based on the strength of their background and materials.
For the Summer MME, you must register for University of Colorado Boulder Continuing Education . Learn more on the Teacher License Renewal page.
Questions? Get in touch at SummerMME@colorado.edu.