Thank you for your interest in the 2022 CU Middle School Honor Band! The purpose of CU Honor Band is to provide a premier musical experience for students throughout Colorado. Our goal is to enhance the opportunity students receive in their school band program by allowing them to meet and perform with other students. At CU Honor Band, the students participate in masterclasses with faculty from the University of Colorado and rehearse as an ensemble for two days. At the end of the festival, they present a full length concert that demonstrates their growth and development.
Our guest conductor for the 2022 CU Middle School Honor Band is Dr. Arris Golden, Assistant Director of Bands at Michigan State University.
February 25-26, 2022
We are pleased to announce that the 2022 festival will be returning to in-person operations! Both the rehearsals and performance will take place at the University of Colorado. Check-in will begin at 2 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 25, with rehearsals and the CU Wind Symphony and Symphonic Band concert that evening. The Honor Band will rehearse from approximately 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 26, and perform a concert in Macky Auditorium that evening.
The 2022 schedule is TBD. View the 2020 schedule (our most recent in-person festival) >>
The 2022 Honor Band process is 100 percent online. Audition materials are due Nov. 10, 2021.
Notifications of acceptance, as well as audition feedback, will be emailed to directors by Dec. 11, 2021. Music will be emailed to directors by mid-January 2022. If selected for the Honor Band, students will be expected to attend all scheduled rehearsals and activities on Feb. 25-26, including attending the Friday evening Wind Symphony-Symphonic Band Concert. Parents are responsible for transportation, lodging and supervision at all other times during the Honor Band weekend.
Students have the option of submitting either an audio file or a video file for their audition recording. If submitting a video, students can receive feedback based on visual aspects of their performance. This will have no impact on a student’s score, and would be for instructional purposes only. For best results, use the best camera available (avoid “selfie" mode).
Step 1: Prepare to record your audition
- Prepare the requirements for your instrument. Practice stating your name, grade, school and instrument, and performing the scales and etudes in the order you will record them.
- No metronome is allowed for audition recordings.
- Gather the materials you need to record your audition. For best results, make recordings using a high-quality microphone.
Step 2: Record your audition
- Record one student per file and just one file per student.
- Do not alter the audition recording in any way.
- Confirm that your file has finalized and is playable. Unplayable audition submissions will not be eligible for scoring.
- Save your file name as “LAST NAME_FIRST NAME.mp3” (ex. mckinney_donald.mp3).
Step 3: Submit your audition
All students must submit their audition via the online registration form, using the below links.
Note: There is a separate form for each instrument.
- Flutes and Piccolos
- French Horns
- Euphoniums and Tubas
Step 4: Submit your audition fee
- The audition fee is $25 per audition submission (for example, students auditioning on two instruments would pay $50 total).
Whoever is paying the student’s audition fee (directors and parents, please connect with each other to determine this for yourselves), please submit your payment via this portal. If you require a pay-by-check option, please email us at MSHonorBand@colorado.edu
- Once registration has closed, we will notify directors whose students submitted auditions, including student names and instruments, and what their payment status is. Unpaid auditions will not be scored.
T-Shirt Design Contest
Returning this year, we would love your help to design the festival t-shirt! If your design is selected, you will receive a FREE t-shirt, waiver of your audition fee for this year’s festival, and credit for your design on the back.
We are looking for a design for the front side of the shirt only. Both digital and hand-drawn submissions are welcome. If you submit a hand-drawn design, please use unlined paper and a dark marker or pen (one color only) so that lines of your design will appear bold when scanned. If you submit a digital design, please do not use more than two colors. All designs should adhere to the University of Colorado brand standards on the following pages:
- Colors: CU Gold, Black, CU Dark Gray, CU Light Gray, and White
- Fonts/Typography: Helvetica neue (here are some images you can use so you can include the text: CU Honor Band and the year: 2022)
- Logos: Do not use the Ralphie buffalo logo or the interlocking CU in your design (a College of Music interlocking CU will be placed on the back of the shirt)
If you have any questions regarding whether your design is within these requirements, please email us at HSHonorBand@colorado.edu, and we’ll be happy to clarify with you. If no design is selected through the contest, Honor Band staff will create a t-shirt design as in previous years.
Submit your design here! The deadline to submit a design is 11:59pm Wednesday, December 1, 2021.
The Honor Band Festival follows all state, county and campus guidelines to help keep our students and community safe. Masks are required in public indoor spaces on the CU Boulder campus, regardless of vaccination status; masking also applies to community members attending in-person indoor events on campus. (Exceptions: directors while conducting an ensemble; students playing a wind instrument; or anyone actively eating/drinking.) We strongly encourage eligible individuals to be vaccinated before coming to campus. For more information, visit colorado.edu/covid-19.
If you have any questions about Middle School Honor Band, please email us at MSHonorBand@colorado.edu.