Thank you for your interest in the 2022 CU Middle School Honor Band! The dates for the CU Honor Band will be February 25-26, 2022. The purpose of CU Honor Band is to provide a premier musical experience for students throughout Colorado. Our goal is to enhance the opportunity students receive in their school band program by allowing them to meet and perform with other students.
Our guest conductor for the 2022 CU Middle School Honor Band is Dr. Arris Golden, Assistant Director of Bands at Michigan State University.
February 25-26, 2022
For the 2021 CU Middle School Honor Band Festival, we offered a robust dynamic, and engaging online experience: students received high-quality instruction from CU Boulder graduate students and exciting content throughout the festival weekend, including instrument master classes, elective sessions and a professionally crafted virtual performance.
The format and schedule of the 2022 festival is TBA. View the 2021 schedule >>
Thank you for all of your audition submissions and congratulations to the students who have been chosen for the 2021 University of Colorado Middle School Honor Band!
2022 audition materials will become available in October 2021.
Students have the option of submitting either an audio file or a video file for their audition recording. If submitting a video, students can receive feedback based on visual aspects of their performance. This will have no impact on a student’s score, and would be for instructional purposes only. For best results, use the best camera available (avoid “selfie" mode).
Step 1: Prepare to record your audition
- Prepare the requirements for your instrument. Practice stating your name, grade, school and instrument, and performing the scales and etudes in the order you will record them.
- No metronome is allowed for audition recordings.
- Gather the materials you need to record your audition. For best results, make recordings using a high-quality microphone.
Step 2: Record your audition
- Record one student per file and just one file per student.
- Do not alter the audition recording in any way.
- Confirm that your file has finalized and is playable. Unplayable audition submissions will not be eligible for scoring.
- Save your file name as “LAST NAME_FIRST NAME.mp3” (ex. mckinney_donald.mp3).
Step 3: Submit your audition
All students must submit their audition via the online registration form. 2022 forms will become available in October 2021.
If you are auditioning on more than one instrument (e.g. flute and piccolo, or alto and tenor saxophone), please submit the form for each separate instrument audition.
Step 4: Submit your audition fee
- The audition fee is $15 per audition submission (for example, students auditioning on two instruments would pay $30 total). This cost is reduced from previous years due to the online nature of the 2021 festival experience; 2022 fees will be finalized in October 2021.
Whoever is paying the student’s audition fee (directors and parents, please connect with each other to determine this for yourselves), please submit your payment via this portal. If you require a pay-by-check option, please email us at MSHonorBand@colorado.edu
- Once registration has closed, we will notify directors whose students submitted auditions, including student names and instruments, and what their payment status is. Unpaid auditions will not be scored.
If you have any questions about Middle School Honor Band, please email us at MSHonorBand@colorado.edu.