Thank you for your interest in the 2021 CU Middle School Honor Band! The purpose of CU Honor Band is to provide a premier musical experience for students throughout Colorado. Our goal is to enhance the opportunity students receive in their school band program by allowing them to meet and perform with other students.
Dates: Friday, Feb. 26-Saturday, Feb. 27, 2021
For the 2021 CU Middle School Honor Band Festival, we will be offering a robust, dynamic, and engaging online experience! You can expect to receive high-quality instruction from CU graduate students and exciting content throughout the festival weekend, including instrument masterclasses, elective sessions, and a professionally crafted virtual performance.
Thank you for all of your audition submissions; and congratulations to the students who have been chosen for the 2021 University of Colorado Middle School Honor Band!
Audition Scores and Feedback
We are releasing audition scores and audition feedback for students whose audition fees and signature sheets (as applicable) have been received. The scores and feedback are sent to the email address first provided to us on the Google Form. This is often (but not always) the parent’s email address; and it would be whomever received the confirmation email when you submitted the form. If director, student, or student’s parents haven’t received feedback and you have received confirmation that we have payment and signature sheets (if required): first, check your spam filters. It may show up as an email from Google. Then, email us at MSHonorBand@colorado.edu, and we’ll help track it down for you.
2022 audition materials will become available in October 2021.
Students have the option of submitting either an audio file or a video file for their audition recording. If submitting a video, students can receive feedback based on visual aspects of their performance. This will have no impact on a student’s score, and would be for instructional purposes only. For best results, use the best camera available (avoid “selfie mode”).
Step 1: Prepare to record your audition
- Prepare the requirements for your instrument. Practice stating your name, grade, school and instrument, and performing the scales and etudes in the order you will record them.
- No metronome is allowed for audition recordings.
- Gather the materials you need to record your audition. For best results, make recordings using a high-quality microphone.
Step 2: Record your audition
- Record one student per file, and just one file per student.
- Do not alter the audition recording in any way.
- Confirm that your file has finalized and is playable. Unplayable audition submissions will not be eligible for scoring.
- Save your file name as “LAST NAME_FIRST NAME.mp3” (ex. mckinney_donald.mp3).
Step 3: Submit your audition
All students must submit their audition via the online registration form. 2022 forms will become available in October 2021.
If you are auditioning on more than one instrument (e.g. flute and piccolo, or alto and tenor saxophone), please submit the form for each separate instrument audition.
Step 4: Submit your audition fee
- The audition fee is $15 per audition submission (for example, students auditioning on two instruments would pay $30 total). This cost is reduced from previous years due to the online nature of the 2021 festival experience.
Whomever is paying the student’s audition fee (directors and parents, please connect with each other to determine this for yourselves), please submit your payment via this portal. If you require a pay-by-check option, please email us at MSHonorBand@colorado.edu
- Once registration has closed, we will notify directors whose students submitted auditions, including student names and instruments, and what their payment status is. Unpaid auditions will not be scored.
If you have any questions about Middle School Honor Band, please email us at MSHonorBand@colorado.edu.