Thank you for your interest in the 2021 CU Middle School Honor Band! The purpose of CU Honor Band is to provide a premier musical experience for students throughout Colorado. Our goal is to enhance the opportunity students receive in their school band program by allowing them to meet and perform with other students. At CU Honor Band, the students participate in masterclasses with faculty from the University of Colorado and rehearse as an ensemble for two days. At the end of the festival, they present a full length concert that demonstrates their growth and development.
Our guest conductor for the 2021 CU Middle School Honor Band is TBA.
Dates: Friday, Feb. 26-Saturday, Feb. 27, 2021
Both the rehearsals and performance will take place at the University of Colorado. Check-in will begin at 2 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 26, with rehearsals and the CU Wind Symphony and Symphonic Band concert that evening. The Honor Band will rehearse from approximately 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 27, and perform a concert in Macky Auditorium that evening.
The 2021 schedule is TBD. View the 2020 schedule >>
Thank you for all of your audition submissions; and congratulations to the students who have been chosen for the 2020 University of Colorado Middle School Honor Band! View the selected roster here: 2020 University of Colorado Middle School Honor Band
Music will be emailed to directors by mid-January 2021. If selected for the Honor Band, students will be expected to attend all scheduled rehearsals and activities on Feb. 26-27, including attending the Friday evening Wind Symphony-Symphonic Band Concert. Parents are responsible for transportation, lodging and supervision at all other times during the Honor Band weekend.
2021 audition materials will become available in October 2020.
Step 1: Prepare to record your audition
- Prepare the requirements for your instrument. Practice stating your name, grade, school and instrument, and performing the scales and etudes in the order you will record them.
- No metronome is allowed for audition recordings.
- Gather the materials you need to record your audition. For best results, make recordings using a high-quality microphone.
Step 2: Record your audition
- Record one student per file, and just one file per student.
- Do not alter the audition recording in any way.
- Confirm that your file has finalized and is playable. Unplayable audition submissions will not be eligible for scoring.
- Save your file name as “LAST NAME_FIRST NAME.mp3” (ex. mckinney_donald.mp3).
Step 3: Submit your audition
All students must submit their audition via the online registration form. 2021 forms will become available in October 2020.
If you are auditioning on more than one instrument, please submit the form for each separate instrument audition.
Step 4: Submit your audition fee
- The audition fee is $25 per audition submission (for example, students auditioning on two instruments would pay $50 total).
- Once registration has closed, we will invoice band directors for the total number of student auditions. Directors: Please remit payment for all students via check(s), made out to: University of Colorado. You may submit one total check for all of your students, or multiple personal checks (e.g. one for each student) if that is easier, as long as they are all sent in one envelope. Unpaid auditions and auditions with the incorrect payee will not be scored. Mail payment to:
University of Colorado
Attn. Laura Graham / MSHB
Boulder, CO 80309
If you have any questions about Middle School Honor Band, please email us at MSHonorBand@colorado.edu.