Welcome to the youth piano program at the University of Colorado Boulder College of Music!
The CU Boulder Youth Piano Program trains students through weekly group and private lessons. Instructors are experienced teachers from the College of Music, and the program is supervised by the CU Boulder Piano Pedagogy Chair Alejandro Cremaschi. The lessons provide thorough instruction at the highest and most effective pedagogical standards while providing opportunities for fun, motivation and enjoyment of music.
Youth Piano: Private lessons
Lessons are offered during the fall, spring, and summer semesters. We have a rolling admissions process, based on instructor availability. Students register for 14 weekly lessons during the fall and spring semesters. If a student enrolls mid-semester, the total number of lessons is adjusted. During the summer semester, we offer flexible lesson scheduling from 6-14 lessons. All lessons will be located in the Imig Music building.
The lessons include developing skills for:
- Classical and popular pieces
- Reading music
- Healthy techniques
- Ear training and music theory
- Performance opportunities
Lessons target children age 6-17. New students will have a diagnostic lesson and parent interview during the first meeting with the instructor to determine their level and needs.
Semester tuition includes 14 one-on-one lessons and the end-of-semester recital.
- Semester tuition for 60-minute lessons: $840
- Semester tuition for 45-minute lesson: $630
- Semester tuition for 30-minute lesson: $420
Summer semester tuition may include 7 or 14 lessons. Please check with us for exact cost of summer lessons.
We will make every effort to accommodate individual times, but exact lesson times will be determined after enrollment based on availability.
For children of CU Boulder staff and faculty, there is a 20% discount for lessons. We do not currently provide scholarships or discounts for siblings.
Youth piano enrollment
Complete the pre-registration form today! What to expect after submitting this inquiry form:
- In 2-3 business days, YPP personnel will review the availability of the instructors and find a candidate who best suits the student's availability.
- The YPP Coordinator will contact you by email and make an introduction between you and the prospective instructor to schedule an initial meeting.
- If the initial meeting goes well, the YPP Coordinator will email you with registration information.
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com.
Youth piano policies
- A piano or keyboard at home is required to complete the practice assignments. Families of beginners who do not currently own a piano or keyboard may want to purchase an inexpensive electronic keyboard.
- Students will have practice and homework. Parents of younger students need to supervise that students practice regularly and finish the required homework.
- Parents must drop and pick up students in a timely manner.
- Parents of students younger than 12 must escort their children to the door of the studio where the lessons take place. For the student’s safety, please do not drop children at the door of the building.
- We suggest that parents of younger students stay in the building during the lesson.
- No food is allowed in the lesson facilities.
Make-up lesson policy/refund policy
No refunds are provided for missed lessons. You must contact the instructor at least 24 hours in advance if you need to cancel. Up to two make-up lessons will be provided per semester for approved absences. Make-up lessons are generally held at the end of the semester but may be arranged for a different time at the instructor’s discretion.
If the instructor must cancel a lesson, we will make every effort to contact you in advance. In the case of instructor absence, contact the Youth Piano Program Coordinator as soon as possible. We will make every effort to provide make-up lessons for each missed lesson due to instructor absence. If it is not possible to coordinate a convenient make-up lesson time for the student and instructor, we will request that another available instructor conduct a make-up lesson with the student at an approved time.
If you wish to terminate lessons, you must contact the Youth Piano Program Coordinator as soon as possible.