F-1 and J-1 international students are required by federal regulations to complete a SEVIS immigration check-in within 30 days of the start date indicated on their I-20 or DS-2019.
- Failure to complete the immigration check-in process will result in the termination of one’s F-1 or J-1 visa status and the ability to legally pursue a degree in the United States.
Immigration Check-In Process
Immigration check-in can only be completed after arriving in the U.S. as you must provide a copy your U.S. arrival record (I-94).
- Complete the Immigration Check-In Form and upload the required documents
- Complete an Immigration Essentials Virtual Quiz that is part of your student welcome and orientation canvas course
Completing the Immigration Check-In Form to Report Your Arrival
- Verify/add/update your local address in Buff Portal.
- Download your I-94 Arrival Record
- Access the Immigration Check-In Form (Information about the Immigration Check-In Form will be coming after January 6, 2021.)
You will need the following information:
- Email address
- University ID
- Located in your Buff Portal (My Profile & Account Settings person icon- upper right navigation menu)
- Local address
- Can be local residence hall address, off-campus address, or temporary hotel address
- U.S. phone number
- Photo / pdf of most recent I-94
Sign the International Student Responsibilities Contract
J-1/ J-2 Students must also:
Complete and sign the Insurance Compliance section of the Immigration Check-In Form
Upload: Photo/pdf of Insurance ID Card
Upload: Photo /pdf of Insurance Summary of Benefits
Exchange Students must also:
Complete and sign the Exchange Student Release of Information section of the Immigration Check-In Form
Students with F-2/J-2 Dependents must also:
Upload: Photo / pdf of dependents most recent I-94