F-1 and J-1 international students are required by federal regulations to complete a SEVIS immigration check-in within 30 days of the start date indicated on their I-20 or DS-2019.
- Failure to complete the immigration check-in process will result in the termination of one’s F-1 or J-1 visa status and the ability to legally pursue a degree in the United States.
Individuals studying in a visa status other than F-1 or J-1 are only required to complete the Immigration Check-In Form [also referred to as the Immigration Reporting Form (IRF)].
Immigration Check-In Process
Immigration check-in can only be completed after arriving in the U.S. as you must provide a copy your U.S. arrival record (I-94).
- Students in All Visa Statuses: Complete the Immigration Check-In Form and upload the required documents
- F/J Students Only: Attend an in-person Immigration Essentials for F-1 and J-1 Students or Immigration Essentials for F-1 Sponsored Students session
- Undergraduate, Transfer, and Exchange Students: An Immigration Essentials session is included in your International Student Orientation schedule.
- Graduate Students: You must sign-up for an Immigration Essentials session. This session must be completed in addition to the Graduate International Student Welcome and Orientation.
- If you have an on-campus assistantship or job, it is recommended that you attend an earlier session to allow time to apply for a social security number.
Completing the Immigration Check-In Form to Report Your Arrival
- Verify/add/update your local address in MyCUInfo.
- Download your I-94 Arrival Record
- Access the Immigration Check-In Form [also referred to as the Immigration Reporting Form (IRF)].
You will need the following information:
- Email address
- University ID
- Located in your MyCUInfo Student tab in Profile & Settings (right navigation menu)
- Local address
- Can be local residence hall address, off-campus address, or temporary hotel address
- U.S. phone number
- Photo / pdf of most recent I-94
F/J Students must also:
Sign the International Student Responsibilities Contract in the Immigration Check-In Form
J-1/ J-2 Students must also:
Complete and sign the Insurance Compliance section of the Immigration Check-In Form
Upload: Photo/pdf of Insurance ID Card
Upload: Photo /pdf of Insurance Summary of Benefits
Exchange Students must also:
Complete and sign the Exchange Student Release of Information section of the Immigration Check-In Form
Students with F-2/J-2 Dependents must also:
Upload: Photo / pdf of dependents most recent I-94
The DocuSign Immigration Check-In Form cannot be submitted until every required field is filled in and all required attachments are uploaded.