F-1 and J-1 international students are required by federal regulations to complete a SEVIS immigration check-in within 30 days of the start date indicated on their I-20 or DS-2019.
- Failure to complete the immigration check-in process will result in the termination of one’s F-1 or J-1 visa status and the ability to legally pursue a degree in the United States.
Immigration Check-In Process
Immigration check-in can only be completed after arriving in the U.S. as you must provide a copy your U.S. arrival record (I-94).
- Complete the Immigration Check-In Form and upload the required documents
- Immigration Check-In Form will be available in your MyISSS portal
- Students in F-1 status: Complete an Immigration Essentials Virtual Quiz that is part of your student welcome and orientation canvas course
- Students in J-1 status that are exchange students will also have access to the orientation canvas course, but will not have to complete an Immigration Essentials Quiz, but will instead have to attend an information session.
- If you are a J-1 student who not an exchange student, please reach out to ISSS about your check-in process
Completing the Immigration Check-In Form to Report Your Arrival
- Verify/add/update your local address in Buff Portal.
- Download your I-94 Arrival Record
- Access the Immigration Check-In Form
- Complete the Immigration Check-In Form available in your MyISSS portal
You will need the following information to submit the form:
- Email address
- University ID
- Located in your Buff Portal (My Profile & Account Settings person icon- upper right navigation menu)
- Local address
- Can be local residence hall address, off-campus address, or temporary hotel address
- U.S. phone number
- Photo / pdf of your most recent I-94
4. Sign the International Student Responsibilities Contract
J-1/ J-2 Students must also:
Complete and sign the Insurance Compliance section of the Immigration Check-In Form
Upload: Photo/pdf of Insurance ID Card
Upload: Photo /pdf of Insurance Summary of Benefits
Exchange Students must also:
Complete and sign the Exchange Student Release of Information section of the Immigration Check-In Form
Students with F-2/J-2 Dependents must also:
Upload: Photo / pdf of dependents most recent I-94