The Gold Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) is a comprehensive insurance plan for CU Boulder students. The plan provides a full year of coverage for services on campus through CU Boulder Medical Services and Counseling and Psychiatric Services (CAPS), as well as medical care received locally and nationally. Enroll in Gold SHIP for $1,874 per semester.
Plan year 2019-2020
|Semester||Dates of Coverage|
|Fall 2019||August 18, 2019 to December 31, 2019|
|Spring/summer 2020||January 1, 2020 to July 31, 2020|
|Summer 2020 only||May 1, 2020 to July 31, 2020|
Eligible students must actively attend classes for at least the first 31 days after the date for which coverage is purchased.
- Degree-seeking undergraduate students enrolled in six (6) or more credit hours and graduate students enrolled in one (1) credit hour or more are eligible are eligible to enroll in Gold SHIP.
- Non-degree seeking and Continuing Education students enrolled in six (6) or more credit hours, Study Abroad (including Semester at Sea) students, Evening MBA students and students enrolled exclusively in Be Boulder Anywhere course paying the base student fee and health fees, may be eligible to enroll in the Gold SHIP, but must do so by visiting Wardenburg Health Center.
- Students approved for the Leave of Absence Program are eligible to enroll in the Gold SHIP for one semester they are not registered for classes and must do so by visiting Wardenburg Health Center.
Spouse and dependent coverage is not available through the Gold SHIP.
Please see below for details about on-campus and off-campus coverage.
- Coverage for services provided by Medical Services
- Local and national coverage (copays, deductible and coinsurance apply)
- Prescription benefit
- Out-of-pocket maximum of $5,000 for in-network and $10,000 for out-of-network per plan year
- Unlimited policy maximum
- The plan is underwritten by Aetna and administered by AmeriBen
Coverage provided for CU Boulder Medical Services includes:
Counseling and psychiatry
Sexual and reproductive health
- Annual exam
- Sexually transmitted infection (STI) testing and treatment
- Gynecology services
- Birth control consultations
- Transgender patient care and hormone therapy
More coverage information
A referral from Medical Services is required before obtaining off-campus medical care. Please contact Health and Wellness Services at 303-492-5107 before scheduling an appointment off site. Mental health visits do not require a referral. This plan also includes international coverage.
- $20 copay per mental health visit*
- $40 copay per other health visit*
- $500 deductible per policy year
- Coinsurance applies once the deductible is met; patient pays 20% up to a $5,000 out-of-pocket maximum per policy year
*Copays do not apply to the deductible
- $1,000 deductible per policy year
- Coinsurance applies once the deductible is met; patient pays 50% up to a $10,000 out-of-pocket maximum per policy year
- $75 copay per urgent care visit
- Coinsurance will apply
- $150 copay per emergency room visit
- Deductible and coinsurance will apply
- $200 copay per hospitalization admission
- Deductible and coinsurance will apply
Annual eye exam
Gold SHIP students are entitled to one routine eye exam per policy year at no additional cost through College Optical in Boulder. This includes visual fields testing, glaucoma screening, refraction and a dilated exam if needed.
Contact lens fittings and medical eye care services are available at an additional fee to the patient. Eyeglass frame and lenses are offered at a discount to students with the Gold SHIP.
College Optical: 303-444-3092 | College Optical website
Aetna Vision Discount Program
Gold SHIP students are enrolled in the Aetna Vision Discount Program which provides discounts on glasses, contacts and LASIK with participating providers.
Annual dental exam, cleaning and X-ray
Gold SHIP students are entitled to one dental exam, cleaning* and x-ray per policy year at no additional cost through PERFECT TEETH™.
PERFECT TEETH™ Locations:
*Cleaning will be done in the absence of periodontal disease.
PERFECT TEETH™ discount plan
Gold SHIP students are entitled to receive additional dental services at the same discounted rates available through the PERFECT TEETH Dental Plan. These expenses are the patient’s responsibility.
For more information visit the PERFECT TEETH™ Dental Plan website
Accidental injury to sound natural teeth and removal of impacted wisdom teeth
Limited benefits for these services are covered by the Gold SHIP. Please provide your insurance card to the dental provider for billing purposes.
Contact Student Health Insurance and Referrals at 303-492-5107 for questions relating to benefit limits and patient financial responsibility.
- $25 copay for generic prescriptions
- $45 copay for formulary prescriptions
- $75 copay for non-formulary prescriptions
Certain medication can be dispensed in a 90-day supply through the pharmacy at Wardenburg Health Center. Please be aware that a 90-day supply is not allowed at outside pharmacies without an over-ride.
Mail order information and instructions:
If you have been using the specialty pharmacy to fill your prescriptions, this service will change. Please contact Ameriben directly at 855-480-4161 for instructions on how to obtain these specialty medications.
The CU Gold SHIP includes:
- Hormone therapy available through Dr. Ann Mattson located in the Sexual and Reproductive Health Clinic. This benefit is also available through in-network providers outside of Wardenburg, for which a referral may be necessary.
- Mental health counseling and pre-approval letters available through Counseling and Psychiatric Services. This benefit is also available through in-network providers outside of Wardenburg, for which a referral may be necessary.
- Gender Confirmation Surgery Benefit Information. For an explanation of this benefit, contact Student Health Insurance and Referrals.
- Gender Confirmation Procedural Benefit Codes. For an explanation of this benefit, contact Student Health Insurance and Referrals.
Gender Confirmation Surgery and Related Therapy Eligible Expenses include:
- mental health counseling;
- hormone replacement therapy;
- sexual reassignment surgery:
- for female to male: mastectomy, hysterectomy, salpingo-oophorectomy, vaginectomy, metoidioplasty, scrotoplasty, urethroplasty, placement of testicular prosthesis, phalloplasty; or
- male to female: orchiectomy, penectomy, vaginoplasty, clitoroplasty, labiaplasty, breast augmentation.
Students who would like to learn more about accessing their gender confirmation benefits can contact our Ameriben representative, Jennifer Barr, at 1-208-947-9519 or email@example.com.
The Student Health Insurance and Referrals department is also available to answer questions at 303-492-5107.
For more information, see transgender and gender affirming care at Medical Services.