As the demand for knowledgeable, ethical, and diverse leaders in higher education continues to grow, the new professional MA program will help you broaden your knowledge of higher education policy, research, and practice, especially in the areas of student affairs, academic affairs, diversity, and community engagement.
We offer a supportive community and flexible coursework designed to accommodate busy professionals’ schedules. An innovative collaborative effort between the School of Education and student affairs departments on campus, the program offers a dynamic combination of academic knowledge and experiential education.
Students must successfully complete 36 credit hours of approved coursework while maintaining at least a B (3.0) average in all work attempted while enrolled.
36 total credit hours
6 credit hours of research and evaluation courses. Select two from the following:
- EDUC 5716 Basic Statistical Methods
- EDUC 5726 Intro to Disciplined Inquiry
- EDUC 7386 Educational Evaluation
9 credit hours of foundations of higher education courses. Select from the following:
- EDUC 6250 Higher Education in the U.S. (Required)
- EDUC 5075 Sociology in Education
- EDUC 6220 Gender Issues in Education
- EDUC 5085 History of American Education
- EDUC 6235 Anthropology of Education
- EDUC 5301 Queer(ing) Topics in Education
- EDUC 7055 Philosophy of Education
- EDUC 6210 Education Policy and the Law
- EDUC 7446 Seminar: Policy Issues in Education
6 credit hours of Higher Education Practice seminar coursework, and 6 credit hours of Higher Education Practice practicum
coursework is required.
For the Higher Education Practice seminar coursework, select two from the following:
- EDUC 6110 Student Affairs in Higher Education
- EDUC 6405 College Student Development & Counseling Theories
- EDUC 6705 Leadership in Higher Education
For the Higher Education Practice practicum coursework, the following 2-credit practicum is taken over the course of three
semesters (2 credits for one semester and 4 credits for one academic year):
- EDUC 6919 Practicum in EFPP
Select 6 credits from the following 1-credit options:
- EDUC 5010 Race and Equity in Higher Education
- EDUC 5011 College Student Career Development
- EDUC 5012 Higher Education Finance
- EDUC 5014 Ethical Dilemmas in Higher Education
- EDUC 5020 College Academic Advising
- EDUC 5021 College Athletic Affairs
- EDUC 5022 LGBTQ+ Topics in Higher Education
- EDUC 5023 College Admissions & Enrollment
- EDUC 5026 Technology in Higher Education
- EDUC 5027 Institutional Advancement & Development in Higher Education
- EDUC 5028 International Education in Higher Education and Student Affairs
- EDUC 5030 Accessibility and Students with Disabilities in Higher Education
- EDUC 5031 Institutional Research and Analytics in Higher Education
- EDUC 5032 College Student Leadership Development
3 credit hour capstone course
- EDUC 6945 MA Capstone Seminar in Foundations of Education
For more information about courses and program requirements, visit the CU Boulder Course Catalog.
Applicants to our Master’s programs will be considered automatically for a handful of scholarships at the time of admission. Applicants do not need to do anything to be considered apart from completing the application for admission by the posted application deadline. Automatic-consideration scholarships for MA students are only available for applicants to the Fall or Summer terms. All scholarships are one-time awards and will be applied across the Fall and Spring semesters. Applicants to the MA in Higher Education program will be automatically considered for the Michael Gendron Scholarship Fund ($2500).
Admission to all our graduate programs is competitive and based on multiple criteria, including undergraduate academic record, letters of recommendation, personal statement, evidence of special accomplishments, and relevant past experience. Criteria are considered in the aggregate. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Requirements include: