Published: Sept. 12, 2018
Mia Tomasulo

Name: Mia Tomasulo

My Path to Engineering

I was originally in the Aerospace program at CU but realized I didn't really enjoy the mechanical side of engineering as much as the electrical side. I was more interested in the career paths of EE including energy and control systems so I made the switch to electrical engineering.

What is your full degree (minors, focuses, etc)?

Electrical Engineering with a minor in Space and a focus in Systems and Signals (though I may add this on as a second minor). 

What is the most interesting thing you learned or explored during your time in the program?

I've learned a lot about renewable energy systems in a practical and applicable manner. It’s been interesting to explore how they work and what’s been going on with them in the present day as well as what we expect to see in the future. My favorite class so far has been ECEN 2270 Electronics Design Lab. The majority of our work for this class was hands-on and we gained a lot of experience with building circuitry and debugging, along with building practical knowledge. The professors and Learning Assistants were very available and helpful when we needed assistance. The class was very well organized and focused on application and industry expectations.

What do you hope to do after you finish your degree / what are you doing now (i.e. internships, on campus research, etc)?

Currently I am in my second year so as of now I’m not participating in any research or internships. My hope for the future is to learn more about control systems. I haven’t settled on one career path yet, I’m really interested in a couple different sectors of EE and I’m looking forward to exploring them in my future classes.

What advice would you give to someone who is considering pursuing a Bachelors in Electrical Engineering?

It's a very challenging degree and requires serious dedication but it is also very rewarding. Professionally, electrical engineers are always in demand and the industry will always be prevalent. We are on the cutting edge of technology so I think if you’re willing to put in the work you’ll find EE has a lot to offer.

When you’re not working, what do you like to do? (Hobbies, interests, etc.)

I spend a lot of time doing schoolwork in the Circuits Lab so when I’m not working I like to do something outside to give my brain a break. This usually involves running, playing soccer, skiing, or just enjoying the sun on warmer days.