Continuing Student Registration Guide
Follow these steps to prepare for class registration.
- Step 1: Review Degree Audit in Buff Portal (See Video)
- Step 2: Make an Appointment with an Advisor
- Step 3: Check Your Enrollment Date
- Step 4: Check for Any Holds or To-Do Items
- Step 5: Search for Classes/Add to Cart
- Step 6: Register for Classes (Enrollment Date)
- Step 7: Review Academic Calendar Dates (Enrollment Date)
Review Degree Audit in Buff Portal (Feb. 1 to 15)
Log in to Buff Portal, CU's one-stop shop for students.
How to navigate the official student portal:
Click on the hamburger menu icon () next to Buff Portal and type 'Degree Audit' in search field or click on Registration Checklist.
Click on the arrow next to 'Run a Degree Audit' to expand the menu and run your report. Do not simply click 'Run a Degree Audit', all that does is check a box!
Click on Transfer Evaluation, if applicable, to review AP/IB/Transfer credit.
Request an audit type:
- For declared programs, click Run Declared Programs.
- To view alternative programs of interest, click Select Different Program. Select criteria from the drop-down menus. Click Run Different Program.
After the degree audit is finished processing, click View Audit (look for the link on the right).
From the degree audit, make a list of classes for major(s), minor(s), certificate(s) and/or core (general education) classes to take in the upcoming term.
New first-year students are encouraged to register for a minimum of 13 credits from the class options below.
- CMCI 1010 Concepts and Creativity 1: Media, Communication, Information—4 credits (required class for Fall 2020)
- Select from CMCI Core Class(es)—3 to 7 credits:
- Quantitative Reasoning or Computing or Natural World
- Lower Division Composition
- WRTG 1160: CMCI First-Year Writing and Rhetoric (recommended)—3
- People and Society
- Humanities and the Arts
- Historical Views
- Diversity and Global Cultures
- A 1000-level and/or 2000-level class(es) listed for your major(s), such as—3 to 6 credits:
- COMM 1210: Perspectives on Human Communication—3
- COMM 1300: Public Speaking—3
- COMM 1600: Group Interaction—3
- Information Science:
- INFO 1111 (Fall): Introduction to Information Science: Understanding the World Through Data—4
- INFO 1121 (Spring): Introduction to Information Science: Designing Interactions—4
- Media Production:
- CMDP 1400: Introduction to Contemporary Media Cultures—4
- Media Studies:
- MDST 1001: Foundations of Media Studies—3
- MDST 1002: Introduction to Social Media—3
- MDST 2002: Media and Communication History—3
- JRNL 1000: Principles of Journalism and Networked Communication—3
- Strategic Communication:
- APRD 1003: Principles of Communication—3
- Class(es) for secondary area of study (second major/minor/certificate)—2 to 4 credits
- Elective class—1 to 3 credits
Make an Appointment with an Advisor (Feb. 1 to March 15)
Log in to Buff Portal Advising.
Click on the advisor's photo under 'Student Success Team' to view their calendar.
Click on an available meeting to reserve an appointment.
Confirm or cancel appointments by clicking 'Show History' under My Meetings in the upper-right corner of the Buff Portal Advising Site.
View the Buff Portal Advising Student User Guide for more details.
Check Your Enrollment Date (March 4)
The Office of the Registrar notifies students via email when enrollment dates are posted.
To check individual enrollment dates:
Click on Registration Checklist and select the term from the drop-down menu.
Note: The enrollment appointment is listed in mountain (MST) time. Complete the following steps as close to the enrollment start date and time as possible!
Check for Any Holds or To-Do Items (March 4 to March 25)
Holds and To-Do items are listed in Buff Portal.
View any Holds and To-Dos.
Expand the menu for more information.
Holds: Prevent you from taking some kind of action (i.e. registering for classes). CU Boulder departments and offices may place a hold on a student's record for a number of reasons. Resolve holds as quickly as possible by following the instructions associated with each hold listed.
To-Do items: Recommended actions necessary to complete specific outcomes. Some to-do items become holds if not completed by a specific date. Monitor to-do items closely and follow the instructions to resolve it.
Search for Classes/Add to Cart (March 4 to Enrollment Date)
Click on Registration Checklist.
Search for classes: CU Class Search
Simple 'Search Classes' tips
Use the following search criteria:
- Title, Subject, Instructor or Keyword: enter class code (e.g. CMCI 1010 or 1020)
- Term: (e.g. fall, spring, summer)
- Any Campus: select Main Campus (Continuing Education classes cost extra)
'Advanced Search' tips
Select the following:
- Open, Waitlisted or Closed: use Open Only
- Use A&S general education attributes to search by category
Search classes by A&S general education categories to complete CMCI Core requirements.
|A&S General Education||CMCI Core:|
|Foreign Language||=||Foreign Language|
|Written Communication||=||Composition and Expression|
|Quantitative Reasoning||=||Quantitative Reasoning|
|Natural Science Lab||=||The Natural World Lab|
|Natural Science||=||The Natural World Non-Lab|
|Social Sciences||=||People and Society|
|Distribution - Arts and Humanities||=||Humanities and the Arts|
|Diversity - Global or Diversity - U.S. Perspective||=||Diversity and Global Cultures|
Search classes by A&S core attributes to complete CMCI core requirements.
|A&S Core Attributes||CMCI Core|
|Classes listed in your degree audit or any HIST class||=||Historical Views|
Click on the class options generated from the search. Review class registration restrictions, description, time and location and section information.
Click on the desired section(s). Note: Classes may require a LAB or REC (Recitation) along with the LEC (Lecture). Select both to register for the class.
Click Add to Cart.
- To view instructor and/or class ratings, click on the hyperlink with the instructor's name or on Course Evaluations. The scale is 1 (lowest rating) to 6 (highest rating).
- You can view most syllabi from past semesters. (Not all are currently available.)
Register for Classes (Enrollment Date)
At the date and time of your enrollment, log in to Buff Portal.
Click on Classes and Registration, Registration Checklist and select Enroll in Classes
Scroll down to CU Boulder Shopping Cart to select desired classes.
Click Add Selected Classes.
Click Finish Enrolling.
Review schedule in the Buff Portal to confirm enrollment.