You can send a check, money order, cashier’s check, 529 payment, or certified funds through the mail. Mail payments at least two weeks before the due date. Payments sent in the mail must be received by close of business, 4 p.m. Mountain Time, on the due date. Postmarks do not constitute receipt of payment. Postmarks and post-dated checks are not honored. Priority mail is not guaranteed to be received on time, so we encourage paying online by 11:59 p.m. on the due date, as an alternative.
How to Mail a Payment
- Please print and include a copy of the bill so that we can apply your payment to the correct account.
- To print the bill: Authorized payers log in to CUBill&Pay and go to step 2. (Students log in to Buff Portal (buffportal.colorado.edu). Locate the Tuition & Fees card and then click "Balance Summary" and "View/Pay Bill.")
- Click "View & Pay Accounts."
- You will see options for Main Campus (CU Boulder Tuition and Fees) and Continuing Education. Click "View Account Details" for the bill you want to print.
- Click the "Bill History" tab.
- Find the bill date of the bill you want to pay and click "PDF" to the right.
- Print the PDF and detach the upper portion of the bill.
- Make your check payable to University of Colorado.
- Write the student’s 9-digit student ID number on the check. (Students can find their student ID number under their profile information in Buff Portal.)
- Send the upper portion of the bill and your check to:
You can also drop off your payment (checks only) in the free-standing payment drop box (painted all black) located outside of the south doors of Regent Administrative Center next to the ATM. If you have questions before paying the bill, please send them by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (303-492-5381) prior to dropping off your payment.
When Drop-Box Payments Are Processed
- Payments are collected from the drop box three times every business day: in the morning, at midday and at the end of the business day.
- Please note that payments are not collected on weekends and holidays. If you drop your payment in the drop box on a weekend or holiday, the payment will be processed in the morning of the first business day following the weekend or holiday.
- Payments received by 4 p.m. will be processed the same business day they are received. Payments received after 4 p.m will be processed in the morning of the first business day after the payment is received.
Location of the Drop Box
South Doors (Accessible Entrance)
When you go down the stairs or the ramp to the main south entrance to Regent Administrative Center, you will see the black drop box next to the ATM.
- Check number.
- Date the check is written. Write out the month, date, and year as shown above.
- Pay to the order of: University of Colorado
- Write the amount of the check in words, as shown above. This is very important; the check may be returned if not written correctly.
- The amount of the check written in numbers. The amount must match the written words on line #4.
- Memo line: write your 9-digit student ID number.
- Bank routing number.
- Your checking account number.
- Your signature.