If you have withdrawn from CU after the withdrawal deadline, you are charged up to 100% of tuition and fees, depending on the date of your withdrawal. Learn more about withdrawing at the Office of the Registrar.  To dispute tuition and mandatory fee charges once you’ve withdrawn, you must make a formal appeal to the Tuition Dispute Committee. Disputes are only considered under extenuating circumstances such as family emergency, unanticipated medical reasons or unexpected financial crisis. Official documentation (see below) must be provided to substantiate the circumstances.

If you disagree with tuition and fee charges and fail to avail yourself of the dispute process by the end of the semester (last day of finals), you waive your right to appeal. Late requests will be considered only if you can provide documentation that circumstances beyond your control prevented you from submitting your appeal on time. The dispute committee reserves the right to deny your request.

Dispute Process

  1. You must drop your class or formally withdraw from the university before submitting a tuition dispute .
  2. The committee must receive the form, the required documentation and a signed personal statement by the end of the semester (last day of finals) in which the charges were incurred or you waive your right to appeal. Send the form and all documentation to Regent Administrative Center, Room 175, 43 UCB, Boulder CO 80309-0043.
  3. The process takes about 3 weeks, longer if documentation is missing.
  4. The committee may request more documentation.
  5. You will be notified by email or mail when a decision is made.
  6. If your request is approved, your tuition and fee account will be automatically adjusted.

Circumstances Under Which You Can Dispute

Required Documentation: Dated letter on university letterhead from appropriate university official/department citing university error.

Unanticipated medical condition that occurred during or immediately before the eligible semester.

Required Documentation: Dated letter on letterhead from the attending physician from your withdrawal term containing the nature of your illness/injury, dates, severity, and your inability to attend school due to the condition.

E.g. death or illness

Required Documentation: Death certificate or obituary notice. Dated letter on letterhead from the attending physician containing the dates of occurrence, nature and severity of your relative’s illness/injury.

Unanticipated financial circumstance that occurred during or immediately before the eligible semester.

Required Documentation: Receipts of unexpected financial obligation, or proof of change of income status for you or the payer of your tuition bill. General lack of planning to pay for college does not constitute a recent unanticipated financial problem. If you did not receive financial aid because you applied late or after the priority deadline, please provide documentation of the unexpected financial problem that resulted in missing the deadline.

Required Documentation: Dated letters on university letterhead from the individual professors stating that you never attended any classes along with explanation of the extenuating circumstances which caused you to miss the drop deadline. Non-attendance does not qualify for refund of confirmation deposit.

Required Documentation: Official enrollment verification on letterhead with university seal from another university containing dates and term attended.

Student Health Insurance

If your request is approved, the health insurance fee may be refunded. This will result in no health insurance coverage for the entire semester. Contact Wardenburg Health Services, 303-492-5107, if you want to stay insured or have questions.

Financial Aid

If you received financial aid during the eligible semester, contact the Office of Financial Aid at 303-492-5091 to determine how withdrawing and disputing your account will affect your financial aid status.

Other Information

  • All information submitted is confidential.
  • Course and program fees will not be refunded for classes dropped after the drop/add period even if your request is approved.
  • Submitting a tuition dispute form with documentation does not guarantee a full nor a partial refund.
  • Submitting a request for a tuition dispute form does not exempt you from late and finance charges or financial holds. We recommend you pay your bill in full by the published deadline.