Ellen Yi-Luen Do (Professor, ATLAS Institute & Computer Science) invents at the intersections of people, design and technology. She works on computational tools for design, especially sketching, creativity and design cognition, including creativity support tools and design studies, tangible and embedded interaction and, most recently, computing for health and wellness.
She holds a PhD in Design Computing from Georgia Institute of Technology, a Master of Design Studies from the Harvard Graduate School of Design and a bachelor's degree from National Cheng Kung University in Taiwan. She has served on the faculties of University of Washington, Carnegie Mellon University and Georgia Institute of Technology. From 2013 to 2016, she co-directed the Keio-NUS CUTE Center in Singapore, a research unit investigating Connected Ubiquitous Technology for Embodiments. She enjoys playing the Djembe and performs at festivals and other venues with the Sensua Players.
Clement Zheng, Jeeeun Kim, Daniel Leithinger, Mark D Gross, & Ellen Yi-Luen Do. 2019. Mechamagnets: Designing and Fabricating Haptic and Functional Physical Inputs with Embedded Magnets. In Proceedings of Thirteenth International Conference on Tangible, Embedded, and Embodied Interaction (TEI’19), p. 325-334 https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3295622 (Tempe, Arizona, USA — March 17 - 20, 2019).
Patrycja Zdziarska, Felix A. Epp, Walther Jensen, Mark D Gross, Ellen Yi-Luen Do. 2019. Hooze: A Kinetic Fashion Accessory for Touch and Play, In Proceedings of Thirteenth International Conference on Tangible, Embedded, and Embodied Interaction (TEI’19) p. 407-413 https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3300980 (Tempe, Arizona, USA — March 17 - 20, 2019).
Nimesha Ranasinghe, David Tolley, Thi Ngoc Tram Nguyen, Liangkun Yan, BarryChew, Ellen Yi-Luen Do. 2018. Augmented Flavours: Modulation of Flavour Experiences Through Electric Taste Augmentation, in Food Research International, (in press, available online May 2018) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2018.05.030.
- Nimesha Ranasinghe, Pravar Jain, Nguyen Thi Ngoc Tram, Koon Chuan Raymond Koh, David Tolley, Shienny Karwita, Lin Lien-Ya, Yan Liangkun, Kala Shamaiah, Chow EasonWai Tung, Ching Chiuan Yen, and Ellen Yi-Luen Do. 2018. Season Traveller: Multisensory Narration for Enhancing the Virtual Reality Experience. In Proceedings of the 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI '18). ACM, New York, NY, USA, Paper 577, 13 pages. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3173574.3174151 (April 21-26, 2018, Montreal, Canada).
Saki Sakaguchi, Eunice Sari, Taku Hachisu, Adi Tedjasaputra, Kunihiro Kato, Masitah Ghazali, Kaori Ikematsu, Ellen Yi-Luen Do, Jun Kato, Hiromi Nakamura, Jun Nishida, Daisuke Sakamoto, Yoshifumi Kitamura, Jinwoo Kim, Anirudha Joshi, Zhengjie Liu, 2018. Asian CHI Symposium: Emerging HCI Research Collection, Extended Abstracts of the 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, (CHI EA, '18). 6 pages. doi>10.1145/3170427.3173459
Nimesha Ranasinghe, Pravar Jain, Nguyen Thi Ngoc Tram, David Tolley, Yan Liangkun, Chow Eason Wai Tung, Ching Chiuan Yen, Ellen Yi-Luen Do, Koon Chuan Raymond Koh, Kala Shamaiah, 2018. A Demonstration of Season Traveller: Multisensory Narration for Enhancing the Virtual Reality Experience, Extended Abstracts of the 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, (CHI EA, '18). 4 pages. doi>10.1145/3170427.3186513
- Clement Zheng and Ellen Yi-Luen Do. 2018. Mechamagnets: Tactile Mechanisms with Embedded Magnets, In Proceedings of the 2018 ACM SIGCHI Conference on Tangible, Embedded and Embodied Interaction (TEI '18), ACM, New York, NY, USA, pp. 57-64 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3173225.3173268 (Stockholm, Sweden, March 18-21, 2018).
- Ellen Yi-Luen Do. 2017. Design for Assistive Augmentation—Mind, Might and Magic. Assistive Augmentation. Cognitive Science and Technology. Springer, Singapore, 99-116, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-10-6404-3_6 (November, 2017).
- Nimesha Ranasinghe, Thi Ngoc Tram Nguyen, Yan Liangkun, Lien-Ya Lin, David Tolley, and Ellen Yi-Luen Do. 2017. Vocktail: A Virtual Cocktail for Pairing Digital Taste, Smell, and Color Sensations. InProceedings of the 2017 ACM on Multimedia Conference(MM '17). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 1139-1147. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3123266.3123440 (Mountain View, California, Oct. 23-27, 2017).
- James Hallam, Clement Zheng, Noah Posner, Heydn Ericson, Matthew Swarts, Ellen Yi-Luen Do. 2017. The Light Orchard: an immersive display platform for collaborative tangible interaction. In Proceedings of the 2017 ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing and Proceedings of the 2017 ACM International Symposium on Wearable Computers (UbiComp '17). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 245-248. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3123024.3123175 (Maui, Hawaii, Sept. 11-15, 2017).