Ellen Yi-Luen Do (Professor, ATLAS Institute & Computer Science) invents at the intersections of people, design and technology. She works on computational tools for design, especially sketching, creativity and design cognition, including creativity support tools and design studies, tangible and embedded interaction and, most recently, computing for health and wellness.
She holds a PhD in Design Computing from Georgia Institute of Technology, a Master of Design Studies from the Harvard Graduate School of Design and a bachelor's degree from National Cheng Kung University in Taiwan. She has served on the faculties of University of Washington, Carnegie Mellon University and Georgia Institute of Technology. From 2013 to 2016, she co-directed the Keio-NUS CUTE Center in Singapore, a research unit investigating Connected Ubiquitous Technology for Embodiments. Ellen has published over 140 papers and raised over $11M in research funding. She was Design Communiity Chair for ACM CHI (2012 and 2013), currently serves on the Steering Committees for ACM TEI (sine 2011) and C&C (since 2017), and on the editorial board for AIEDAM, Springer Series on Cultural Computing, and AUSMT. She enjoys playing the Djembe and performs at festivals and other venues with the Sensua Players.
- S. Sandra Bae, Rishi Vanukuru, Ruhan Yang, Peter Gyory, Ran Zhou, Ellen Yi-Luen Do, Danielle Albers Szafir. 2022. Cultivating Visualization Literacy for Children Through Curiosity and Play. In Proceedings of IEEE VIS 2022, https://doi.org/10.48550/arxiv.2208.05015 (Oct.16-21, 2022—Oklahoma City, Oklahoma).
- Hopkins Torin, Weng Suibi Che Chuan, Vanukuru Rishi, Wenzel Emma A., Banic Amy, Gross Mark D., Do Ellen Yi-Luen (2022), AR Drum Circle: Real-Time Collaborative Drumming in AR, , Frontiers in Virtual Reality, Vol. 3, Article 847284 (11 pages), online Aug 19, 2022, URL=https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/frvir.2022.847284, DOI=10.3389/frvir.2022.847284
- Peter Gyory, Perry Y Owens, Matthew Bethancourt, Amy Banic, Clement Zheng, Ellen Yi-Luen Do. 2022. “Build Your Own Arcade Machine with Tinycade,” In 14th ACM conference on Creativity & Cognition, https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/3527927.3533023 (June 20-23, 2022—Venice, Italy).
- S. Sandra Bae, Clement Zheng, Mary Etta West, Ellen Yi-Luen Do, Samuel Huron, Danielle Albers Szafir (2022). "Making Data Tangible: A Cross-disciplinary Design Space for Data Physicalization." Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA. (April 30 - May 5, 2022—New Orleans, USA.) https://dl.acm.org/doi/abs/10.1145/3491102.3501939, see video preview, and short presentation video.
- Torin Hopkins, Rishi Vanukuru, Suibi Che-Chuan Weng, Amy Banic, Ellen Yi-Luen Do. 2022. "Augmented Personification of Intelligent Music Tools for Creativity and Collaboration," ACM CHI 2022 Workshop 47: Intelligent Music Interfaces: When Interactive Assistance and Augmentation Meet Musical Instruments. pdf (New Orleans, LA—May 1, 2022).
Chris Hill, Ruojia Sun, Ellen Yi-Luen Do. 2022. “What to Design Next: Actuated Materials and Soft Robots for Children,” ACM CHI 2022 Workshop 39: Actuated Materials and Soft Robotics Strategies for Human Computer Interaction Design. pdf (New Orleans, LA—May 1, 2022).
Rishi Vanukuru, Amarnath Murugan, Jayesh Pillai, and Ellen Yi-Luen Do. 2022. Designing and Studying Social Interactions in Shared Virtual Spaces using Mobile Augmented Reality, ACM CHI 2022 Workshop 46: Social Presence in Virtual Event Spaces. pdf. (New Orleans, LA—May 1, 2022).
T. Hopkins, S. C. -C. Weng, R. Vanukuru, E. Wenzel, A. Banic and E. Y. -L. Do, "How Late is Too Late? Effects of Network Latency on Audio-Visual Perception During AR Remote Musical Collaboration," 2022 IEEE Conference on Virtual Reality and 3D User Interfaces Abstracts and Workshops (VRW), 2022, pp. 686-687, doi: 10.1109/VRW55335.2022.00194. (Christchurch, New Zealand—March12-16, 2022).
Luo, Zhiqiang, Ponraj Durairaj, Cheng Mun Lau, Yuichiro Katsumoto, Ellen Yi-Luen Do, Ahmad Sapon Bin Zainuddin, Kensaku, Kawauchi, "Gamification of Upper Limb Virtual Rehabilitation in Post Stroke Elderly Using SilverTune- A Multi-sensory Tactile Musical Assistive System," 2021 IEEE 7th International Conference on Virtual Reality (ICVR), 2021, pp. 149-155, doi: 10.1109/ICVR51878.2021.9483850.
Sandra Bae, Ruhan Yang, Peter Gyory, Julia Uhr, Danielle Albers Szafir. Touching Information with DIY Paper Charts & AR Markers, (2021) in IDC '21: Interaction Design and Children, June 2021 Pages 433–438, 24 June 2021, https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/3459990.3465191
Torin Hopkins, Peter Pascente, Wayne Seltzer, Kellie Masterson, and Ellen Yi-Luen Do. 2021. The Jam Station: Gamifying Collaborative Musical Experiences Through Algorithmic Assessment. In Proceedings of the Fifteenth International Conference on Tangible, Embedded, and Embodied Interaction (TEI '21). Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, Article 58, 1–6. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1145/3430524.3442466 (Salzburg, Austria (virtual)–Feb. 14-19, 2021).
Torin Hopkins, S. Sandra Bae, Julia Uhr, Clement Zheng, Amy Banic and Ellen Yi-Luen Do. 2021. User Interfaces in Smart Cities (book chapter). In Handbook of Smart Cities. Springer Publishing Company, Inc. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-15145-4_94-1
Nimesha Ranasinghe, Pravar Jain, David Tolley, Barry Chew, Ankit Bansal, Shienny Karwita, Yen Ching-Chiuan, and Ellen Yi-Luen Do. 2020. EnPower: Haptic Interfaces for Deafblind Individuals to Interact, Communicate, and Entertain, in FTC 2020 - Future Technologies Conference 2020. 17 pages (Nov. 5-6, 2020 - Virtual), Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, Springler, https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-63089-8_49 [Best Presentation Award], paper pdf
Nimesha Ranasinghe, Pravar Jain, David Tolley, Shienny Karwita, Yen Ching- Chiuan, and Ellen Yi-Luen Do. 2020. Exploring the Use of Olfactory Stimuli Towards Reducing Visually Induced Motion Sickness in Virtual Reality. In Symposium on Spatial User Interaction (SUI ’20), Oct. 31-Nov. 1, 2020, Virtual Event, Canada. ACM, New York, NY, USA, 9 pages. https://doi.org/10.1145/3385959.3418451, paper pdf
- Clement Zheng, Peter Gyory, and Ellen Yi-Luen Do. 2020. Tangible Interfaces with Printed Paper Markers. In Proceedings of the 2020 ACM on Designing Interactive Systems Conference (DIS ’20). Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, 909–923. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1145/3357236.3395578. (Eindhoven, Netherlands (virtual) – July 6-20, 2020) [Honorable Mention Award for Best Pictorial Paper].
- Ruhan Yang, Cody Candler, and Ellen Yi-Luen Do. 2020. EdBoard: An Educational Breadboard. In Proceedings of the Interaction Design and Children Conference 2020 (IDC'20). DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3397617.3397832 (London, England (virtual)–June 17-24, 2020).
- Torin Hopkins and Ellen Yi-Luen Do. 2020. Jam Tabs: A Color Based Notation System for Novice Improvisation. In Proceedings of International Conference on Technologies for Music Notation and Representation (TENOR'20) (Hamburg, Germany–May 12-14, 2020). (Due to COVID-19, conference moved to 2021; proceedings published in 2020, here is the bibtex). DOI: https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.4105928.
- Ryo Suzuki, Hooman Hedayati, Clement Zheng, James Bohn, Daniel Szafir, Ellen Yi-Luen Do, Mark D Gross, and Daniel Leithinger. 2020. RoomShift: Room-scale Dynamic Haptics for VR with Furniture-moving Swarm Robots. In Proceedings of the 2020 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI '20). ACM, New York, NY, USA, Paper 396, 11 pages. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3313831.3376523 (Honolulu, Hawaii (virtual) – April 25-30, 2020).
- Briane Paul V. Samson, Suleman Shahid, Akihiro Matsufuji, Chat Wacharamanotham, Toni-Jan Keith P. Monserrat, Keyur Sorathia, Masitah Ghazali, Shio Miyafuji, Nova Ahmed, Kazuyuki Fujita, A. B. M. Alim Al Islam, Eunice Sari, Murni Mahmud, Adi Tedjasaputra, Juho Kim, Uichin Lee, Thippaya Chintakovid, Sheng-Ming Wang, Zhengjie Liu, Xiangmin Fan, Ellen Yi-Luen Do, Yoshifumi Kitamura, Simon Tangi Perrault, Bing-Yu Chen, Asian CHI Symposium: HCI Research from Asia and on Asian Contexts and Cultures (2021), in CHI EA '20: Extended Abstracts of the 2020 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, April 25-30 2020, pp 1–6, https://doi.org/10.1145/3334480.3375068
- Ryo Suzuki, Clement Zheng, Yasuaki Kakehi, Tom Yeh, Ellen Yi-Luen Do, Mark D. Gross, Daniel Leithinger. 2019. ShapeBots: Shape-changing Swarm Robots. In Proceedings of The 32nd Annual ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology (UIST'19). https://doi.org/10.1145/3332165.3347911 (New Orleans, LA—Oct. 20-23, 2019).
- Peter Gyory, Clement Zheng, Daniel Leithinger, and Ellen Yi-Luen Do. 2019. HOT SWAP: Probing Embodied Game Interfaces With Reconfigurable Controllers. In Companion Publication of the 2019 on Designing Interactive Systems Conference 2019 Companion (DIS '19 Companion). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 183-187. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3301019.3323901. (San Diego, CA—June 23 - 28, 2019).
Clement Zheng, HyunJoo Oh, Laura Devendorf, and Ellen Yi-Luen Do. 2019. Sensing Kirigami. In Proceedings of the 2019 on Designing Interactive Systems Conference (DIS '19). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 921-934. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3322276.3323689 (San Diego, CA, USA — June 23 - 28, 2019). Best Pictorial Award.
Clement Zheng, Jeeeun Kim, Daniel Leithinger, Mark D Gross, & Ellen Yi-Luen Do. 2019. Mechamagnets: Designing and Fabricating Haptic and Functional Physical Inputs with Embedded Magnets. In Proceedings of Thirteenth International Conference on Tangible, Embedded, and Embodied Interaction (TEI’19), p. 325-334 https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3295622 (Tempe, Arizona–March 17- 0, 2019).
Patrycja Zdziarska, Felix A. Epp, Walther Jensen, Mark D Gross, Ellen Yi-Luen Do. 2019. Hooze: A Kinetic Fashion Accessory for Touch and Play, In Proceedings of Thirteenth International Conference on Tangible, Embedded, and Embodied Interaction (TEI’19) p. 407-413 https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3300980 (Tempe, Arizona—March 17-20, 2019).
Nimesha Ranasinghe, David Tolley, Thi Ngoc Tram Nguyen, Liangkun Yan, BarryChew, Ellen Yi-Luen Do. 2018. Augmented Flavours: Modulation of Flavour Experiences Through Electric Taste Augmentation, in Food Research International, (in press, available online May 2018) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2018.05.030.
- Nimesha Ranasinghe, Pravar Jain, Nguyen Thi Ngoc Tram, Koon Chuan Raymond Koh, David Tolley, Shienny Karwita, Lin Lien-Ya, Yan Liangkun, Kala Shamaiah, Chow EasonWai Tung, Ching Chiuan Yen, and Ellen Yi-Luen Do. 2018. Season Traveller: Multisensory Narration for Enhancing the Virtual Reality Experience. In Proceedings of the 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI '18). ACM, New York, NY, USA, Paper 577, 13 pages. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3173574.3174151 (Montreal, Canada–April 21-26, 2018).
Saki Sakaguchi, Eunice Sari, Taku Hachisu, Adi Tedjasaputra, Kunihiro Kato, Masitah Ghazali, Kaori Ikematsu, Ellen Yi-Luen Do, Jun Kato, Hiromi Nakamura, Jun Nishida, Daisuke Sakamoto, Yoshifumi Kitamura, Jinwoo Kim, Anirudha Joshi, Zhengjie Liu, 2018. Asian CHI Symposium: Emerging HCI Research Collection, Extended Abstracts of the 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, (CHI EA, '18). 6 pages. doi>10.1145/3170427.3173459
Nimesha Ranasinghe, Pravar Jain, Nguyen Thi Ngoc Tram, David Tolley, Yan Liangkun, Chow Eason Wai Tung, Ching Chiuan Yen, Ellen Yi-Luen Do, Koon Chuan Raymond Koh, Kala Shamaiah, 2018. A Demonstration of Season Traveller: Multisensory Narration for Enhancing the Virtual Reality Experience, Extended Abstracts of the 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, (CHI EA, '18). 4 pages. doi>10.1145/3170427.3186513
- Clement Zheng and Ellen Yi-Luen Do. 2018. Mechamagnets: Tactile Mechanisms with Embedded Magnets, In Proceedings of the 2018 ACM SIGCHI Conference on Tangible, Embedded and Embodied Interaction (TEI '18), ACM, New York, NY, USA, pp. 57-64 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3173225.3173268 (Stockholm, Sweden–March 18-21, 2018).
- Ellen Yi-Luen Do. 2017. Design for Assistive Augmentation—Mind, Might and Magic. Assistive Augmentation. Cognitive Science and Technology. Springer, Singapore, 99-116, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-10-6404-3_6 (November, 2017).
- Nimesha Ranasinghe, Thi Ngoc Tram Nguyen, Yan Liangkun, Lien-Ya Lin, David Tolley, and Ellen Yi-Luen Do. 2017. Vocktail: A Virtual Cocktail for Pairing Digital Taste, Smell, and Color Sensations. In Proceedings of the 2017 ACM on Multimedia Conference(MM '17). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 1139-1147. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3123266.3123440 (Mountain View, California–Oct. 23-27, 2017).
- James Hallam, Clement Zheng, Noah Posner, Heydn Ericson, Matthew Swarts, Ellen Yi-Luen Do. 2017. The Light Orchard: an immersive display platform for collaborative tangible interaction. In Proceedings of the 2017 ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing and Proceedings of the 2017 ACM International Symposium on Wearable Computers (UbiComp '17). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 245-248. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3123024.3123175 (Maui, Hawaii–Sept. 11-15, 2017).
In the news