Students Eligible under Colorado ASSET Bill and/or DACA

The University of Colorado Boulder provides some grant and work-study assistance for Colorado resident students who are eligible under the Colorado Advancing Students for a Stronger Economy Tomorrow (ASSET) Bill or Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). Nonresident students are ineligible for need-based assistance or the Colorado ASSET Bill benefit, but are encouraged to apply for scholarships.


  • ASSET: Effective Fall 2013, undocumented students who meet the qualifications for in-state tuition (attended a Colorado high school for at least three years & graduated from a Colorado high school, for example) under the Colorado ASSET bill can apply for university financial aid. These students will be identified through the admissions application process.
  • DACA: Eligible students may request consideration for deferred action for a period of two years and would then be eligible for work authorization (making them eligible to be considered for a work-study financial aid award).

Students who qualify for ASSET do not automatically qualify for DACA, and vice versa. A student may qualify for one but not the other, qualify for both, or qualfiy for neither.

Apply for Financial Aid

ASSET students interested in receiving financial aid should fill out the ASSET Financial Aid Application (también disponible en Espanol). For assistance, contact the Office of Financial Aid at 303-492-5091 or

Award Eligibility:

  • You may receive a CU grant up to $4,000 per year (as long as funds are available).
  • You may receive a First Generation Grant up to $2,000 per year (as long as funds are available).
  • ASSET & DACA students only: You may be eligible for CU Boulder-funded work-study up to $1,800 in addition to a grant.
  • You will not qualify for federal or state grants or loans.

Apply for Scholarships

Any CU Boulder Scholarships you have or will receive based on your admissions application (i.e. automatic consideration scholarships) will not be impacted by your ASSET/DACA status.

The CU Boulder Scholarship Application is available until February 15 and most scholarships do not require U.S. Citizenship. ASSET students are considered for scholarships that require Colorado residency. For a list of scholarships available through this application, view the CU Boulder Scholarship Search Tool.

Here are a few of good resources:

Students receiving private scholarships from outside the university should follow these instructions to have the checks sent to our office for processing.

Apply for College Opportunity Fund (COF)

Once admitted to CU Boulder, ASSET students should follow the instructions listed on the Registrar's website on how to apply for COF, which is a state benefit that reduces the amount of undergraduate in-state tuition you pay.