Even though this semester will look different, it doesn’t mean you can’t step out of your comfort zone and thrive. Whether you want to meet new people, gain experience for your résumé or develop professional skills, here are some leadership opportunities to take advantage of this fall.
Join a student board
Being a leader isn’t just about excelling in your academic courses. It is also about having confidence in your voice and using it to make a difference. Your role as a student board member can give you the ability to grow in meaningful ways. Joining a student board gives you the opportunity to make decisions and create solutions to problems right here at CU Boulder.
There are a variety of student boards for you to join throughout the year, so don’t shy away from trying something new. The Center for Student Involvement (CSI) and the Volunteer Resource Center (VRC) are now accepting applications.
Join Residence Life
Are you a people person? Help students find their community on campus through several opportunities with Residence Life. Whether you want to be a resident advisor (RA), serve as a community lead or become a community assistant, the opportunities are endless. Here are some reasons to consider getting involved with Residence Life:
- Expand your leadership skills and build community with fellow Buffs.
- Grow your collaboration and communication skills for effective change.
- Learn how to mediate conflict between students and help them to find solutions.
- Facilitate positive community among student residents.
- Develop critical-thinking skills.
CU GOLD is a free leadership program that is open to all CU students. It’s a great way to practice effective communication, explore personal values and develop critical leadership skills. You will also gain personal awareness and growth to help you at CU and beyond.
- The Core Leadership Program (CLP) is a semester-long introductory program. Each week, participants will explore personal values, diversity and different leadership styles. Applications are now open.
- The Applied Leadership Program (ALP) is open to all CLP graduates. Participants will learn how to effectively apply their skills and practice leadership roles through simulation-based learning experiences. Apply today!
- Workshops in a Box (WIAB) are free interactive virtual sessions for student organizations. Workshops focus on helping student organizations grow and include topics like time management, running effective meetings, leadership, getting organized, planning cohesive events, retaining membership and more.
- Monthly Leadership Sessions are open to all CU students. Each session will cover a different topic on developing your leadership skills. Attend the sessions that most interest you!
Applications for CLP and ALP close at 5 p.m. Sept. 4. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Become a Herd Leader
The Herd Leadership Council provides a smaller group of CU students crucial résumé-building opportunities in the areas of mentorship, fundraising, event planning, marketing, communications and more. Help promote Buff pride, inclusivity and share CU Boulder traditions.
Want to know about more ways to get involved? Go to the Student Affairs website for additional opportunities, and check out our Fall Events website. Be sure to follow us on social media @CUBoulderLife on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.