The Special Care Form (available at the bottom of the page) is a tool to facilitate communication between the Office of Animal Resources (OAR) Facility Manager, the staff member who usually cares for the animals, the institutional veterinarian, the principal investigator, and research staff.
All special care must be described in a protocol and approved by the IACUC prior to implementation.
Deviations to standard care may include, but are not limited to:
- Special diets
- Food/water restrictions
- Drug delivery via water bottles or hydropacs
- Light cycle modifications
- Limited access due to research procedures sensitive to room entry such as stress hormone measures or core body temperature readings, etc.
Considerations when Limiting Access:
- Take responsibility for the care of all animals in the colony if limiting access to that colony beyond the normal working hours of OAR staff.
- Ensure the research personnel caring for the animals are fully trained by the OAR Facility Manager to provide the appropriate level of care and record keeping prior to the start of special care.
- Maintain a daily log visible at all times for the OAR staff and Veterinarian to observe.
- Ensure back-up personnel are available to care for the animals, especially in the case of Vacations, Holidays, and Weekends.
- Personnel caring for animals must notify the OAR Facility Manager of absences to ensure proper back-up is provided. Send email notification to email@example.com.
- Complete the Special Care Form (below) and submit to OAR.
Instructions for Submitting Special Care Form:
Click on the button below to open the Special Care Form (Word document).
Email the completed form to OAROffice@colorado.edu.
An OAR Facility Manager will contact you to finalize the special care procedures.