Foundation for Food and Agriculture Research (FFAR) 2019 New Innovator in Food and Agriculture Research Award Solicitation
Please see the full solicitation for complete information about the funding opportunity. Below is a summary assembled by the Research & Innovation Office (RIO).
With this program, FFAR intends to support and promote the future generation of exceptionally talented and creative new faculty who are conducting critical research and establishing research programs that will lead to expanded availability of food and facilitate the global practice of sustainable agriculture as the world’s population grows to more than 9 billion people by the year 2050. The New Innovator Award seeks to promote career advancement of highly creative and promising new scientists who intend to make a long-term career commitment to research in food and agriculture and bring innovative, ground-breaking research initiatives and thinking to bear on problems facing food and agriculture.
When submitting full proposals to FFAR, applicants should select the category that best fits their research program:
- Category 1: Target Areas of Research:
- Achieving a Deeper Understanding of Nutrition and Healthful Food Choices
- Enhancing Sustainable Farm Animal Productivity, Resilience, and Health
- Improving Plant Efficiency
- Managing Food Production Systems to Enhance Nutritional Outcomes
- Optimizing Agricultural Water Use
- Spurring Food System Innovation
- Transforming Soil Health
- Category 2: FFAR Challenge Areas:
- Advanced Animal Systems
- Health and Agriculture Nexus
- Next Generation Crops
- Soil Health
- Sustainable Water Management
- Urban Food Systems
CU Internal Deadline: 11:59pm MST February 13, 2019
Sponsor Nomination Deadline: 1:00pm MST February 28, 2019
Sponsor Full Proposal Deadline (for nominees only): 10:00am MST March 11, 2019
Sponsor Full Application Deadline (by invitation only): 1:00pm MST April 24, 2019
Internal Application Requirements (all in PDF format)
- Project Summary (2-3 pages): Please include the following: project description, timeline, goals and objectives by year, anticipated outcomes, data management plan, facilities and equipment.
- PI Biosketch (up to 3 pages)
- Budget Overview (up to 1 page): A basic budget outlining project costs is sufficient; detailed OCG budgets are not required.
To access the online application, visit: https://colorado.secure-platform.com/a/solicitations/home/6319
Nominees must have been hired on or after August 1, 2015 for a tenure-track or equivalent position and may work in any discipline or any department within the institution. Preference will be given to individuals near the onset of their independent research career and who are within eight years of receiving a Ph.D. or equivalent degree. Individuals with significant research experience prior to obtaining their faculty position will not be considered for this award.
Limited Submission Guidelines
CU Boulder is invited to nominate up to two applicants.
Award Amount: FFAR will award each applicant up to $100,000 per year for up to three years with an additional $100,000 required cash match from non-federal sources for a total award of up to $600,000. Applicants may ask for a longer duration, provided the total funds (FFAR request + Cash Match) do not exceed $600,000 and FFAR’s allocation does not exceed 50% of the total award amount.
Award Duration: Up to 36 months.
Number of Awards: FFAR anticipates funding no more than 10 awards between the two research categories listed.
Match Requirement: Please note that a one-to-one cash match is required.