Anyone intending to use controlled substances for research or teaching must be registered with the DEA, using DEA Form 225. There is an on-line registration option and a paper registration option. (The paper registration option MUST be used if you are applying to use Schedule I drugs, including marijuana.  Schedule I applications must include a research protocol; for guidance, see

Instructions for completing DEA Form 225 can be found at  Be sure to note the following (bullets 3 and 4 may appear to diverge from the instructions but are essential): 

  • Be sure to use Form 225 for initial registration.
  • For the “Select One Business Activity” option, select “Researcher.”
  • CU personnel are State employees, and are not required to pay the registration fee.  Check the "exempt" box and indicate the following as the certifying institutional official:  Dr. Jon Reuter, Associate Vice Chancellor of Research Integrity, 99 UCB, 303-735-5809. 
  • The State of Colorado no longer issues state licenses to researchers, so unless you have a license to prescribe, leave Section 4 (State Licenses) blank.  The second entry in section 4 should also be left blank, since the State of Colorado does not issue State Controlled Substance licenses.

Maintaining Registrations

Researchers must renew their DEA registrations annually. The renewal process is described at  Be sure to follow the instructions above regarding checking the "exempt" box.

A copy of the annual or renewal registration should be emailed to:

Jon Reuter -
Office of Research Integrity & Compliance