Please see the full solicitation for complete information about the funding opportunity. Below is a summary assembled by the Research & Innovation Office (RIO).
The AXA Research Fund was born out of the belief that science plays a crucial role in responding to the most important issues facing our planet. AXA's scientific philanthropy initiative is committed to supporting science, contributing to societal progress and encouraging researchers to share their work with the larger public. The AXA Research Fund supports projects in the areas of Health, Environment, New Technologies and Socio-Economics.
The AXA Chair scheme is a premium funding scheme which is intended to support a significant step change in the development of a Research area within a host Institution and to contribute in a distinctive way to the development of that Research area in line with the Institution’s long-term strategy. It aims at creating a full-time academic position in the host Institution and fostering a step-change in the career of the appointed AXA Professor.
AXA Chair position to be held by an individual Chairholder: the host Institution intends to create a permanent full-time position and recruit a world-class researcher from another Institution.
Budget awarded is expected to cover primarily the Chairholder’s salary and/or research environment (e.g. research staff salaries), and any expenses directly connected to the Chair Research Program.
The AXA Research Fund funds academic projects which contribute to the ability of the Society to better manage global risks, in particular in the areas of:
- Demographics, longevity and aging
- Well-being, prevention, personalized health
- Management of chronic & non- communicable diseases
- New technologies
- Robotics, automation & autonomous vehicles
- Artificial intelligence, data science & machine learning
- Cyber risk & protection
- Urban resilience
- Sustainable resource management
- Behavioral economics
- Social & Financial inclusion
- Responsible investment strategies & sustainable finance
- Efficiency of healthcare systems
CU Internal Deadline: 11:59pm MST March 19, 2019
Sponsor Expression of Interest Deadline: April 22, 2019
Sponsor Application Deadline: June 21, 2019
Internal Application Requirements (all in PDF format)
- Chair Research Program (up to 1 page): Please include the following: (a) theme of research program, (b) timeline, (c) potential to make a step change in the considered research field (originality, innovative nature of research program, strengthening international networks), (d) feasibility of research program, and (e) chair outreach and engagement activities (potential for societal impact / timeliness, dissemination activities within and beyond scientific community).
- Chairholder’s Profile (up to 1 page): Please include the following: chairholder name, title, PhD-related information, current institution, academic excellence and track record, previous achievements and innovative capabilities, adequacy of fit between research program and chairholder’s expertise, international recognition, leadership skills and ability to implement research program.
- Budget Overview (up to 1 page): A basic budget outlining project costs is sufficient; detailed OCG budgets are not required.
To access the online application, visit: https://colorado.secure-platform.com/a/solicitations/home/6320
The AXA Research Fund requires a specific Candidate to be presented, and that the Candidate commits to take up the position, if awarded.
- The Chairholder is expected to be of the highest caliber, as evidenced by the standard indicators for assessing academic excellence (publications in first-rate journals, international stature and network).
- The profile will be at least PhD+10 years from PhD defense to the time of application.
- The AXA Chairholder is expected to spend his/her full time in the host institution, and his/her publications will be issued in the name of the host institution during the whole chair duration.
- Strong preference will be given to Institutions hiring a Chairholder from another Institution. AXA Chairs are not intended to substitute for an internal promotion.
Limited Submission Guidelines
Institutions may submit only one application per year.