Published: Sept. 11, 2023

Vice Chancellor for Research & Innovation and Dean of the Institutes Massimo Ruzzene announced several leadership shifts that will be effective September 18.

Gary Henry

Gary Henry

These personnel moves will help meet the growing demands of an increasingly complex research environment, fill a need at the Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Sciences (LASP), and enhance synergies across CU Boulder’s research and innovation ecosystem. 

Gary Henry—head of the Office of Contracts and Grants (OCG) within the Research & Innovation Office (RIO) since 2021—will transition into the role of Assistant Vice Chancellor for Research Management and will serve as the Interim Executive Associate Director for LASP Finance and Operations.

Henry will devote 80% of his time to LASP, and the remaining 20% will be dedicated to strategic initiatives in support of the management of the campuswide research portfolio. As part of his duties, Gary will oversee the Program Management Office (PMO) and other research support functions. 

Henry brings more than three decades of contracts and leadership experience, having served in proposal development, award management, and operational roles with federal agencies, industry and state government. Additionally, he is already familiar with LASP and its staff, the contract work of LASP and the overall university and institute structure.

Alexa Van Dalsem

Alexa Van Dalsem

Ruzzene also appointed Alexa Van Dalsem to the post of Interim Director of OCG. In this role, she will also join the RIO Leadership Team.

“I have the utmost confidence in Alexa’s leadership, as well as the stability and culture of excellence within OCG,” said Ruzzene. “Under her leadership, I know that OCG will continue to deliver on its well-earned reputation as a supportive and dependable partner for researchers across campus.”

Van Dalsem, who has served as Deputy Director of OCG since 2021, has 16 years of experience in grant and research administration, 11 years within a university and 13 years in university administration. Prior to taking on the Interim Director role, Van Dalsem’s work has focused on research administration policy, increasing process efficiency through technology, research security, staff development and training, and supporting staff work-life well-being in a hybrid workforce.

Ruzzene anticipates naming a permanent OCG Director by early 2024. The search plan will be solidified in the coming weeks and details about the process will be shared as they become available this fall.

“I am thankful to both Gary and Alexa for their service and leadership. These new roles will position them to provide even stronger support for research operations across campus,” said Ruzzene.