Purchasing a Vehicle
The acquisition of university fleet vehicles involves three departments: the requesting campus department, Transportation Services (TS) and the Procurement Service Center.
To Purchase a Vehicle
- The requesting department fills out a Vehicle Request form. It must include a signature and the proper speedtypes for the initial purchase and for future maintenance. Once filled out and signed, this document should be emailed to the Fleet Manager in Transportation Services (TS).
- The Fleet Manager works with the Shop Supervisor to provide advice on mechanical specifications and cost estimates using State of Colorado vehicle price agreements.
- The Fleet Manager reviews the specifications, identifies the name of supplier, and verifies the contracted price, terms and delivery.
- The Fleet Manager provides the final quote to the requesting department for approval before submitting a requisition to Procurement Service Center for a purchase order to buy the vehicle.
- At the time of delivery, TS inspects the vehicle to ensure that specifications are met and everything is in working order.
- TS applies a university logo to the vehicle, obtains the title, registration, license plates and fuel card where applicable.
- The appropriate campus controller’s office administers the financing and assigns a CU asset number to the university fleet vehicle when necessary.
Disposing of a Vehicle
A vehicle being retired from service must be released by its department to Transportation Services (TS). When retiring a vehicle to TS:
- The department should remove any special equipment that has been installed. The returning department may schedule the removal of such equipment by Transportation Services and is responsible for any associated costs.
- An emissions test is required one week prior to turn-in.
- Remove trash and personal items from the vehicle.
- The gas credit card, registration, vehicle packet and all sets of keys must be submitted to TS.
- Transportation Services sends the vehicle to auction to be sold. Proceeds that exceed the cost of disposal shall be credited to the department that funded the vehicle.
All departments must report fleet vehicle mileage to Transportation Services by the 20th of each month. This information is used to inform departments when their vehicles require servicing. Accurate and timely reporting is important.
University Risk Management oversees the insurance program for the university fleet. Departments are responsible for funding insurance costs associated with vehicles under their control. All vehicles titled to the University of Colorado or for which the university is responsible must be covered by university insurance unless an exception has been approved by University Risk Management.
Transportation Services distributes proof of insurance cards for fleet vehicles. If your vehicle is missing one, please stop by the Transportation Services' office at 3205 Marine Street or call 303-492-7152 to arrange for a card to be sent to you.