Property Services oversees purchase and installation of furniture, moving services, surplus management, and more.
Property Services can help you with:
Our crew at the Distribution Center is experienced in moving offices and labs. Our moving and hauling rates are $51.91 per staff hour. (Time and a half for overtime.) Scheduling is easy:
Please help us make your move as painless, efficient, and cost effective as possible by following a few simple recommendations:
Our goal is to provide fast efficient service and to make your move as worry free as possible. Thank you for considering Property Services for all your relocation needs, your patronage is greatly appreciated!
Free estimates are available.
If you have a particular date and time in mind, we will try to accommodate you. However, we schedule on a first-come, first served basis. The crew that handles moves also does pick-up of disposal items and delivers furniture.
Property Services procures and provides classroom seating in all centrally controlled (and residential academic program) classrooms.
For more information contact our Logisticts Coordinator, 303-492-7207.
Furniture Sales to Departments
We offer a wide variety of used office furniture. Desks, chairs, bookcases, credenzas, and tables of all shapes and sizes are available for departmental purchase. Before purchasing used furniture, please make sure that you and your speedtype are included in your department's profile in our Surplus Property Management System.
When you are interested in making a purchase, it might be best to visit us in person. Our stock changes on a near daily basis. Please call 303-492-6525and make an appointment. You are welcome to drop by and browse our warehouse, but please give us a call about an hour before making the trip as we handle a variety of functions and occasionally have to commit our resources elsewhere.
**Property Services reserves the right to limit the quantity of purchases to individuals or groups.**
We also hold periodic public auctions which are open to the public.
Public Auction at UCB
CU Boulder Surplus holds auctions quarterly, however the auction previously scheduled for April 18, 2020 has been cancelled. We will post information regardign the next auction here when it is available, please check back.
Auctions are held on the east side of:
University of Colorado Boulder
3300 Walnut Street, Unit B
Boulder, CO 80301
State of Colorado (including CU) employees are welcome to participate in our live auction as well as ongoing on-line auctions through web-sites such as www.govdeals.com, www.labx.com and www.publicsurplus.com. State of Colorado employees will be required to sign a non-conflict of interest certification stating that they were involved with neither the original procurement nor the decision to dispose of the item(s) purchased at CU-Boulder’s public auction.
Some items listed may not be available at time of auction due to departmental retention, timing, logistical, or other reasons. Please note that all item descriptions are provided by CU-Boulder departments and as such Property Services is unable to guarantee verification of each description. This listing has been provided for informational purposes only and does not reflect the order that the items will be sold.
All items won at auction must be purchased and removed from the premises by purchaser on the day of auction. Items cannot be held over for pick-up without making special arrangements with Property Services’ staff.
We do not provide access to dumpsters or trash roll-offs for the disposal of unwanted items. The legal and proper disposal of any purchased item is the sole responsibility of the purchaser.
The University of Colorado strongly encourages and supports the appropriate disposal of unwanted/unusable electronic items and will, upon request, provide information on known recycling/reclamation organizations.
Please contact our Surplus Property Supervisor at (303) 492-1120 or PropServ@Colorado.edu with any questions about the auction or property disposal information.
Purchase of Surplus Property by University Employees
State of Colorado (including CU) employees are welcome to purchase surplus property directly from Property Services. State of Colorado (including CU) employees are also welcome to participate in our live auctions and on-line auctions through web-sites such as www.govdeals.com, www.labx.com and www.publicsurplus.com. State of Colorado employees will be required to sign a non-conflict of interest certification stating that they were involved with neither the original procurement nor the decision to dispose of the item(s) purchased at CU-Boulder’s public auction.
Property Services will assist departments in selling high-end electronics and/or lab equipment through various internet auction sites. Departments will receive proceeds made from internet sales. Please contact Steve Marvel (303-492-1120) to arrange for your internet sale of high-end surplus equipment.
Sales Terms and Conditions
- All items offered by the University of Colorado are sold As-Is/Where-Is with no warranty or guarantee either expressed or implied. We make reasonable attempts to make known any condition, of which we are aware, that may adversely affect normal “manufactured for” end use.
- The University of Colorado cannot insure nor confirm suitability for purchaser’s final application.
- The University of Colorado maintains a strict policy of No Returns or Exchanges. Purchaser understands and acknowledges that all sales are final. The University of Colorado strongly recommends physically inspecting items or equipment prior to purchase.
Proceeds back to Departments
The percentage of proceeds back to departments is based on the net sale value for each individual item as well as the following thresholds:
$100 To $999.99 - CU Departments keep 51% of proceeds
$1,000 To $4,999.99 - CU Departments keep 78% of proceeds
$5,000 To $9,999.99 - CU Departments keep 85.5% of proceeds
$10,000 and up - CU Departments keep 100% less a $1500 processing fee
Property Services' percentage of sales covers labor, handling, research for fair market value, etc.
The Department of Facilities Management Property Services is responsible for administering the disposition of all surplus property for the Boulder campus.
Shawna Stushnoff (303-492-6324) is available to help you with the process of registering your department and creating disposal requests.
If you are planning to donate, trade-in, or cannibalize equipment or if you are planning to surplus capital equipment or equipment or furniture that was purchased with SPA or Grant funds you need to complete the following form: https://www.colorado.edu/ocg/property-disposal-request-form
If you have items that need hazardous material clearance, download an Environmental Health and Safety Certificate or contact Environmental Health and Safety to certify your equipment is safe for disposal.
Propery Accounting offers an three part Property Manager's Certificate course that covers management of property here at the university, the second session of this training covers property disposal. The property disposal session covers using the property disposal system, trade-ins, donations, transfers, etc. The Property Accounting training sessions are normally held in the fall, please contact them to express an interest in training if you do not see this year's sessions referenced below. Completion of all three sessions will lead to a Departmental Property Manager (DPM) certification if completed within two years. Training and certification is sponsored by CCO, OCG, and Property Services.
Distribution Services is also available to provide the session two Property Disposal Training through out the year, please email email@example.com to express an interest in training
Contact Shawna Stushnoff 303 492-6324 for further information.
For more information about the training please see:
What happens next . . .
- After your disposal request has been entered and authorized in the Surplus Property Management System, property services staff will email the contact person with instructions.
- Labels will be sent to the disposal request contact person through campus mail with a note instructing them to contact Steve Marvel when the labels have been affixed to all surplus items.
- When Property Services has been notified that the items are ready, they will schedule the crew to come and remove your surplus.
- On average, it takes Property Services six calendar days to pick up a disposal request from the date the department notifies us the tags have been affixed and the items are ready for pick up.
- Property Services completes approximately 150 disposal requests each month. The scope of one disposal request can range from a single item to a multiple-truck pick-up.
- Property Services is Generally Funded to pick up surplus property on the CU Boulder campus. That means, your surplus items will be picked up at no charge to your department. An exception to this, is our $95 charge for refrigerant reclamation to cover our hazardous materials disposal costs.
We can also help you...
- Get authorization to cannibalize or trade in old equipment
- Make a donation to a non-profit organization
- Transfer research equipment to another institution
If you are doing any of the above three, you do not need to create a disposal request. Please contact our Property Services' Manager (303-492-7207) for assistance.
If you are moving to a new location: To ensure continuing prompt delivery of your mail, please remember to notify Mail and Package Services (303-492-6242) as early as possible before your move.
Surplus Computer Screening
Property Services ensures that all electronics are disposed of responsibly, in accordance with the highest industry standards for sustainability. 100% of the university's surplus electronics are diverted from landfill (approximately 260,000 lbs/year) by our staff.
Property Services staff screen surplus computer equipment; remove, sanitize and destroy data recording media; strip obsolete and non-working components for reclamation and recycling; and sell used computers and their components back to university departments at extremely competitive prices. Please contact us at 303-492-2377 to ask what kind of used equipment we have available for resale.
Please properly recycle/dispose of office items:
- Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFLs) and mercury-containing bulbs: Submit waste tags to EH&S and Facilities Management, or call 303-492-7845 .
- Rechargeable/Alkaline Batteries: Find information here or call 303-492-7845 for drop-off locations and instructions.
- Electronics: Please dispose of all state owned electronics through our Surplus Property Management System or call 303-492-6524.
- Cell phones, MP3s/IPODs and chargers: Drop off at the UMC, Norlin Library, Darley Commons, or mail to 207 UCB.
Please contact CU Recycling (303-492-8307) for other recycling questions.