Published: June 15, 2017

andrew garlandA fresh face and an emerging vocal talent will join the College of Music faculty this fall. Baritone Andrew Garland is the newest assistant professor of voice, and he has big plans for his new cohort of students. 

“I think I am most looking forward to working with hand-picked, talented, musical, and—most importantly—dedicated students.”

Garland, who comes to the college from Brown University, is well known throughout the opera and orchestral world, performing recently with New York City Opera, Boston Lyric Opera, the Houston Symphony and other organizations. The acclaimed American singer has been teaching since before he became a serious performer; he says he looks forward to continuing the symbiotic relationship between his two passions.

“They complement each other. When you teach students how to sing, it compels you set an example, to practice all of the good habits you want to see in your students.”

Garland has performed several times in Carnegie Hall and recently released a CD of songs by contemporary American composers, which shot to the top of the classical music recordings on Amazon.com. He says he’ll never tire of the challenges that performing presents.

“I find the process satisfying, though never fully satisfying. By that I mean I enjoy rehearsing because it fills a need for the type of work that stretches and challenges me. And because I am stretching, challenging myself and growing, I am never satisfied. There is always something more that one can do.”

When he gets to Boulder, he says his first order of business—after getting settled in with his wife and two daughters—will be to taste all the local fare.

“We plan to try a new restaurant in the city every week,” he says.