Creating and Hiring Positions
Starting a search
- Department will gain approvals for a new faculty search through the dean's office and Office of Faculty Affairs as appropriate.
- Department or HR Service Center (email@example.com) creates a new position or updates a vacant position in HCM.
- If this is a targeted hire, refer to our Search Waiver website for more details on how to complete the search waiver process before submitting the request to post the position on the job site.
- Department creates a posting request in the Search Committee Portal when they are ready to post the position on the job site. You no longer need to submit a separate search plan checklist to the HR Affirmative Action Officer. Instead, this information will be submitted as part of your posting request. Your assigned Recruiting Coordinator may reach out if additional information is required.
- Talent Acquisition reviews and creates the posting, and works with the department to post to various external posting locations.
Conducting the search
- If this is an open search, department conducts normal recruitment process.
- Training will be available on the use of tools to support the search process, and for best practices in the area of diversity and inclusion.
- Contact your Recruitment Coordinator if you would like to use HireVue video interviewing or SkillSurvey reference checking.
- Strategize with your Recruitment Coordinator regarding how to disposition and communicate with applicants.
- Department will work with Recruitment Coordinator on collecting confidential letters of recommendation and any needs related to reviewing application materials.
Completing the search
- Department will gain approvals and finalize offers through the dean's office and the Office of Faculty Affairs as appropriate.
- Once the offer is accepted, department will notify the Recruitment Coordinator by advancing the candidate to the "Offer Accepted" step in the Search Committee Portal or by email.
- The Recruitment Coordinator will request personal information from the candidate and order a background check. If the candidate is being hired with tenure, the faculty reference check pilot program will be initiated at the same time.
- The Recruitment Coordinator will request from the Search Chair or liaison information to ensure that all applicants are properly dispositioned and communicated with appropriately.
- Once personal information has been collected and the background check is cleared for the candidate, the Recruitment Coordinator will push the information to HCM and send confirmation to the hiring department that the candidate is clear for hire.
- If applicable, the department will send to the HR Service Center (HRSC@colorado.edu) a copy of the offer letter.
- The HR Service Center (HRSC@colorado.edu) will complete the HCM transaction for supported departments, and non-supported departments will create the HCM transaction for final approval by the appropriate office.
- The Recruitment Coordinator will disposition remaining candidates in the pool and close the requisition.
Diversity Search & Hiring
The Diversity Search & Hiring Online Course, manual and guidebooks provide an overview of the faculty search and hiring process and best practices used to conduct an inclusive and compliant faculty search. This information is intended for anyone serving on a faculty search committee.
Visit the Diversity Search & Hiring page to learn more.
HR Service Center
- If you receive transaction support through the HR Service Center, information about the hiring process can be found through the I am hiring faculty section of the HRSC webpage.