Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9
In accordance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 ("IRCA"), the University of Colorado Boulder must verify employment eligibility of each employee within the first three days of employment.
As required by federal law the university is required to complete and retain a Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification document for all regular and temporary employees hired after November 6, 1986.
Completion of Form I-9 is a shared responsibility of both the employee and the university.
- Section #1 must be completed by the employee on or before the first day of employment.
- Section #2 must be completed by an I-9 partner, or authorized university representative, within the first three days of employment.. The employee should provide acceptable documents to complete the I-9.
- Form I-9 can be completed as soon as, but not before, a job offer has been extended and accepted.
In order to complete Form I-9 employees are required to present original documentation confirming identity and eligibility to work in the United States. The List of Acceptable Documents is the last page of Form I-9. Employees who are unable to meet federal I-9 requirements cannot lawfully be employed.
Completing Section #1 of the Form I-9
- Section #1 invitations should be received via email from HireRight. If you did not receive an invitation from HireRight, please contact email@example.com.
- International hires do not need have the SSN to complete Section #1 of the I-9 at this time. Please advise the individual to check the box verifying that they do not have social security number.
Completing Section #2 of the Form I-9
- To complete Section #2, employees must present original documents in person to the I-9 office or authorize representative.
- International hires do not need have the SSN to complete Section 1 of the I-9 at this time. Please advise the individual to check the box verifying that they do not have social security number.
Main I-9 Office (East Campus Location)
Administrative & Research Center
3100 Marine St., Third Floor, Boulder, CO 80309
Monday through Friday 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
Main Campus Location
Regent Administrative Center
Room 1B28, Basement, 2055 Regent Drive, Boulder, CO 80309
Monday through Wednesday 9:00am to 3:00pm
Departments with employees who are working out of the area or out of state should contact CU Boulder HR I-9 Office about options for completing the I-9. All federal timelines still apply.
CU Boulder I-9 Process
The University of Colorado Boulder uses HireRight for processing electronic Form I-9 and E-Verify for all new employees with a start date on or after March 13, 2017.
To get access to the HireRIght I-9 solution, please contact CU Boulder HR at 303-735-8191 or Ifirstname.lastname@example.org.
HireRight’s I-9 Solution satisfies U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) requirements related to the electronic creation, signature, retention and security of the Form I-9.
This paperless process enables you to create, view, download, store and print the Form I-9, as well as run management reports on-demand. Built-in tools such as automated error checking help you complete forms accurately and promote compliance. Other benefits include:
- Improve accuracy of Form I-9 completion
- See an audit trail that includes if/when a form was modified and by whom
- Annotate when forms are updated or modified
- Help ensure timely re-verifications through alerts
- Promote compliance with changing legislation
Please note: Exising employees, those hired before March 13, 2017, are not to be run through the HireRight E-Verify system. Employees hired before March 13, 2017 should complete the I-9 using the paper form.
All new employees with a start date of March 13, 2017, and who have not worked for CU in the last 3 years, will need to use the electronic Form I-9.
Exising employees, those hired before March 13, 2017, are not to be run through the HireRight E-Verify system. Employees hired before March 13, 2017 should complete the I-9 using the paper form.
If paper Form I-9’s are received by the Department of Human Resources for new employees, you will receive a notice declaring that all future Form I-9s must be completed through the HireRight system. Repeated disregard for the new process will result in communication with your department head. *Please note: If an employee requires accommodation to complete the Form I-9 that results in the use of a paper form, HR will accept the paper Form I-9.
For international hires with a hire date on or after March 13, 2017, and who have not previously held a position with CU in the past three years, should use HireRight to complete the electronic Form I-9:
Section 1 (Completed by Employee)
The hiring department should submit the invitation to the employee to complete Section 1 of the I-9. To submit the invitation you will need*:
- Legal First Name
- Legal Last Name
- Email (personal)
- Start Date
Please note that the international hire does not need the SSN to complete section 1 of the I-9 at this time. Please advise the individual that they will need to check the check box verifying they do not have a social security number.
Section 2 (Completed by HR)
International hires should be sent to CU Boulder Human Resources to complete Section 2 within the first three days of employment. Please send these individuals to:
The Administrative Research Center (ARCE)
Third Floor Reception
3100 Marine St.
Boulder, CO 80309
CU Boulder HR is currently developing step-by-step guides on how to complete section 2 of the Form I-9 for international hires. We will notify you when they become available
- The size of the business of the employer being charged;
- The good faith of the employer;
- The seriousness of the violation;
- The history of previous violation of the employer.
The non-compliant department may request a hearing before an administrative law judge within 30 days. In these cases, the department that is in violation may be required to attend the hearing and pay any subsequent fines.
Please note: Current international hires that completed their I-9 on paper should continue to update their status on the paper form with CU Boulder HR.
*This option is intended for extenuating circumstances only and repeated use of this option may be identified as non-compliance during an audit.
For E-Verify: Visit https://www.uscis.gov/e-verify
- Email invitation to complete Section 1
- Reminder email to complete Section 1 if not completed by 24 hour deadline
- After completing Section 1, they will receive notification of the documents necessary to complete Section 2 within the first three days of employment
The I-9 Partner receives the following notifications:
- Email invitation sent to new employee
- Section 1 completed by employee
- Citizenship or immigration status was not updated with SSA
- Name change was not reported to SSA
- Name, Social Security Number, or date of birth is incorrect in SSA records
- SSA record contains another type of mismatch
- Information was not entered correctly by the employer.
- HireRight Step-by-Step Guide
- Security Scanning Guidelines (For scanning and uploading required documents)
- List of Acceptable Documents (For completing the Form I-9)
- Required Documents (for E-Verify photo matching)
Handbook for Employers Guidance for Completing the I-9
Information for Employees
Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (IRCA)
Boulder, CO 80309
For purposes of completing the I-9, please see also see the list of acceptable documents.
E-Verify is an Internet-based system that compares information from an employee's Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, to data from U.S. Department of Homeland Security and Social Security Administration records to confirm employment eligibility.
Department of Human Resources
Attn: I-9 Coordinator