Information & Deadlines
Before admission to candidacy for the doctoral degree, students must pass a comprehensive examination. The exam is subject to the basic requirements of the Graduate School but also the specific requirements and deadlines placed by your graduate program. The exam should be completed through the process below, keeping in mind those requirements and deadlines. The doctoral examination committee is comprised of at least five members meeting Graduate School and program requirements. Work with your program well in advance of the exam to identify appropriate committee members.
Signatures must be obtained in a multi-part process explained and initiated below. The Graduate School and your graduate program must approve your committee, and the form will be sent to your committee members upon completion of your exam. All members must sign the form.
Submission & Routing Information
At least two weeks before your exam, complete the landing page with your name, program, and the names and colorado.edu e-mail addresses of the committee chair and the other committee members. Click “submit.”
On the form, add the date of your examination and student ID number. Read and acknowledge the information on the form and select “finish” to route the form through the following process:
- The form will be sent to the Graduate School for review of your committee.
- Following Graduate School committee approval, the form will be routed to your program for review in advance of the exam.
- After the exam has been conducted, work with your graduate program assistant to route the form to your committee members.
- The chair of committee will receive the form first, and the remaining committee members will receive the form simultaneously; all members must sign the form.
- Successful candidates must receive affirmative votes from a majority of the members. The examination may be passed conditionally, whereby conditions must be met before the exam is considered to be passed.
- When all members have signed and the form is complete, you will receive a pdf version of the form with signatures via e-mail. The form will also be forwarded to your program, committee members, and to the Graduate School.
Exam Results & Candidacy
If the committee has agreed upon a conditional pass, the chair of committee should select conditional and list the conditions on the form. The conditional pass confirmation form should be filled out when the conditions are met. Once the comprehensive examination has been passed and the student has received a copy of the pdf version of the form with signatures, the student should submit the doctoral candidacy application.
Additional Information can be found here.
List Committee Members Below
Committee Chair Information:
Additional Member (Optional):