Published: Nov. 5, 2021

Just over two years after the completion of the 2019 report by the Graduate Task Force on Stipends and Benefits, CU Boulder is addressing the task force's top priority and remitting mandatory fees for graduate students on assistantship appointments. 

In addition, as of Jan. 1, 2022, there will be a 3% stipend increase for eligible graduate students on appointment. Eligibility criteria and additional details are available on the Graduate School website.

Scott Adler, dean of the Graduate School, provided a statement about the news.

E. Scott Adler

E. Scott Adler

This is going to make a huge difference for our graduate students, and I couldn’t be happier that we are able to make this a reality. Over the past two years, we were able to chip away at some of the fees and provide for paid parental leave and dental coverage, but finally we’re in a position to remit fees for those on appointment. It’s really exciting.

I want to thank CU President Saliman and the board of regents for their unwavering advocacy and support of our graduate students. I also want to thank my predecessor Ann Schmiesing for the groundwork she laid in enhancing the graduate student experience, Chancellor Phil DiStefano, Provost Russ Moore and Chief Financial Officer Carla Ho’a for their commitment to allocate this very significant funding in support of our graduate students.

And most of all, I want to thank the members of the Graduate and Professional Student Government for their participation in the Graduate School Task Force and their patience as we endeavoured to find a way to fulfill the recommendations of the report."