For PHS/NIH research personnel, completion of the required educational training and DEPA reporting are both required in order to meet federal requirements.
As of August 24, 2012, academic institutions are required to implement changes in some of the regulations governing Conflict of Interest reporting. These changes affect research personnel who receive funding from/are supported by Public Health Service (PHS) agencies, including, but not limited to, the National Institute of Health (NIH). An expanded list of agencies can be found at the following website: http://www.hhs.gov/about/orgchart/
In general, here is how the new changes affect the reporting process:
- Disclosure: All faculty, and any other employee or student with responsibility for the design, conduct or reporting of research are considered critical to the research process and must disclose any significant financial interest and external professional activity that could compromise university decision making or duties. See the list of personnel categories that must disclose from the Conflicts of Interest and Commitment page or the Disclosure Form (DEPA) page.
- New questions in paperwork required by the Office of Contracts and Grants (OCG) during proposal submission
- Educational Training must occur for all PHS/NIH disclosers
- Prior to engaging in any grant or contract funded by the Public Health Service (including NIH)
- At least every four years after initial training
- When warranted by other circumstances, such as noncompliance
The mandatory educational training module is available through Skillport via the following link: Log in to MyCUInfo at http://mycuinfo.colorado.edu/.
(Alternatively, anyone attending the following University of Colorado Boulder COIC lectures would not need to take the SKillSoft module:
- Responsible Conduct for Researchers refresher class of 1/16/13
- Responsible Conduct for Researchers class of 9/27/12)
*** To Access the SkillSoft Training Site:***
You must have either an Employee ID number (EIN) or a Person of Interest ID number (POI) in order to access this site. For information about these types of IDs please contact the Personnel Payroll Liaison (PPL) for the department with which you are affiliated.
You must have the correct browser configuration with Java in order to access this site. We strongly suggest using the following browsers: Explorer, Firefox, Safari. If the configuration with Java is not current, difficulties may occur. For technical assistance please contact IT via firstname.lastname@example.org or call: 303-735-4357.
1) Click on top tab: CU Resources.
2) Click on the Training tab on the left side of screen.
3) Click on Start SkillSoft. Be patient; loading may be slow.
4) Access the Catalog on the left side of screen.
5) Open University of Colorado-Courses.
6) Open the COI folder, and select CU:Conflict of Interest for NIH.
7) Start the module by clicking the blue triangle
4. Threshold Changes: Income or equity is now reportable if it meets or exceeds:
- $5,000, alone, in income/payments for service
- $5,000 for the AGGREGATED SUM of income and equity interest/ ownership received from a publicly traded company
- ANY equity interest received/ownership of a non-publicly traded company
5. Travel Reporting Requirements- see tab
Example of how NIH training appears during DEPA review:
DEPA Review for: Ima.Resperson
Home Department: Coop Inst Res/Envrm Sci - Dir
Conflict of Interest NIH-WEB MAR 12, 2013
NIH training is required every 4 years.