The First Generation Scholarship is awarded to undergraduate Colorado residents who have financial need and whose parent(s) or legal guardians do not have a bachelor's degree. During the first year, recipients are required to participate in the First Buffs Program, offered through the Center for Inclusion & Social Change.
To be considered for 2020-21, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) (or ASSET Application) and the CU Boulder Scholarship Application before March 13, 2020. After you complete the general application, you will be prompted to complete the CU Boulder First Generation Scholarship Application if eligible.
The First Generation Scholarship is $2,000 per year. $4,000 if living on-campus for the first year only.
- Incoming freshman or transfer student
- Colorado resident
- Neither parent has received a bachelor's degree.
- Completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) (or ASSET Application) and the CU Boulder Scholarship Application with significant demonstrated financial need.
- Completed the CU Boulder First Generation Scholarship application by March 13, 2020.
- Continue to meet eligibility requirements (i.e. undergraduate, Colorado resident, demonstrated financial need).
- Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards. Academic progress will be reviewed at the completion of each semester.
- Meet the program requirements provided through the Center for Inclusion & Social Change.
- Must have received the scholarship in a previous year.
- This scholarship may be renewed up to 10 semesters or 150 credit hours (whichever comes first).
- Transfer credits accepted by the university are included in the 150 credit hour limit.
- Courses taken for no-credit through Continuing Education and Professional Studies do not count toward the minimum credit hours.
Students awarded prior to 2020-21 should review the First Generation Grant criteria.
Minimum Enrollment to Receive Scholarship
Each semester you remain eligible, the scholarship will be credited to your CU Boulder tuition and fee bill. If enrollment at CU Boulder drops below half time (five or fewer credit hours), the scholarship will be canceled. If it has already been paid toward the bill, you will receive a new bill. We encourage First Generation Scholarship recipients to enroll in a minimum of 12 credit hours at CU Boulder for each fall and spring semester, but amounts will be pro-rated for part-time students as follows:
|Enrolled Credit Hours||Scholarship Eligibility %|
|12 credit hours||100%|
|9-11 credit hours||75%|
|6-8 credit hours||50%|
- Undergraduate, degree-seeking students are eligible to return to the university within 1-3 terms from their last graded semester without readmitting or reapplying for admission (read more on the Registrar’s website).
- If you will be absent from CU or withdraw during a semester and wish to continue receiving the scholarship upon your return (if eligible), please notify us.
- Withdrawal grades may impact your financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).
Summer School or Education Abroad (Study Abroad)
The First Generation Scholarship cannot be used for summer courses. You may use the First Generation Scholarship for semesters in CU Boulder sponsored Education Abroad (study abroad) programs. The scholarship is not available for other education abroad (study abroad) programs.