Last Update: 11/24/2020
Safety is a priority for our students, faculty and staff. Under extreme weather conditions, the Chancellor may decide to delay the opening of campus, close the campus early or not open campus offices and departments, provided that "essential services" will be maintained.
When some or all teaching is in person
- In the event of a delay, all in-person and remote classes with a start time that is during the closure period will be canceled.
- In the event of a closure, all in-person, remote and online classes will be canceled.
- In the event of a delay or closure during the final examination period, the Provost will provide a directive regarding exams according to the final examination policy
When all teaching is remote/online
During a period that all teaching is remote/online, no classes or exams will be canceled due to a snow event impacting campus. All faculty and students will continue with remote/online teaching and learning regardless of the situation in Boulder and along the Front Range.
For employees working on campus or remotely
- Administrative leave is granted to regular employees for their scheduled work hours during the period of closure.
- Certain remote meetings may still need to take place. Check with your department for further guidance.
- Classified and university staff employees who are eligible for overtime enter in admin leave for this day on their timesheets.
- Regular part-time employees or those paid on an hourly basis (such as variable percent employees) who are normally scheduled to work when a closure occurs are given paid administrative leave for their regular scheduled work hours.
- Regular, non-essential services employees who are eligible for overtime (non-FLSA exempt) shall not count the period of closure as hours worked for the purposes of calculating overtime. Regular, essential services employees who are eligible for overtime (non-FLSA exempt) shall count the period of closure as hours worked for the purposes of calculating overtime. For the purposes of this guidance, essential services are those designated positions that are required to maintain or protect the health, safety or physical well-being of campus personnel and facilities given the conditions of the emergency at hand.
- Temporary (including retirees hired into temporary positions) and student employees are not eligible for administrative leave.
- Employees who are already on approved annual, sick, or other type of leave when a closure occurs will not be given paid administrative leave for their scheduled work hours during the period of closure.
For more information, please see Campus Closing Procedures during Emergencies.