In May 2022, the Faculty Salary Procedures Working Group (FSPWG) was formed as a joint initiative of the Boulder Faculty Assembly and the Office of the Provost to identify and recommend guiding principles and improvements to current campus, college and unit-level procedures that may contribute to faculty pay inequity. The working group met during the 2022–23 academic year to analyze issues pertaining to faculty annual merit review and salary distribution practices, held campus open forums and composed its report and recommendations.
The report is divided into sections covering hiring, retention, promotion, merit review practices, auditing practices and future work. It identifies 16 core issues contributing to salary inequity and provides associated recommendations for each, emphasizing overall the need for transparency in salary practices across the campus as well as the need to balance the two priorities of hiring and retention with salary equity. Feedback from faculty and various faculty stakeholder groups on the draft report published in March was incorporated into the final report.
As part of its work, the FSPWG reviewed copies of annual merit evaluation and salary distribution procedures from academic units and a related audit. These items are now posted on this page.The provost and the BFA chair have agreed that the most current unit materials will be uploaded annually for the benefit of the campus.
Faculty Salary Procedures Working Group Appointees
- Daria Kotys-Schwartz, teaching professor, Design Center Colorado co-director, Idea Forge director, Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Steve Vanderheiden, professor, Department of Political Science
- Ken Anderson, professor and chair, Department of Computer Science
- Russell Cropanzano, professor, Leeds School of Business
- Teresa Foley, teaching professor and associate chair of undergraduate affairs, Department of Integrative Physiology
- Emily Greenwood, teaching associate professor, Program in Environmental Design
- David Hekman, associate professor, Leeds School of Business
- Margot Kaminski, associate professor, Colorado Law
- Lorrie Shepard, professor and dean emerita, School of Education
- Julia Staffel, associate professor, Department of Philosophy
- Tin Tin Su, professor, Department of Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology
- Tammy Sumner, director, Institute of Cognitive Science, professor, Department of Computer Science
- Michael Thornton, professor, College of Music
- Philip White, assistant professor, University Libraries
- Erin Willis, associate professor, Department of Advertising, Public Relations and Media Design
- Katherine Eggert, senior vice provost for academic planning and assessment and professor, English
- Michele Moses, vice provost and associate vice chancellor for faculty affairs and professor, Education
- Ann Schmiesing, vice chancellor and executive vice provost for academic resource management and professor, German and Slavic Languages and Literatures