The Bachelor’s–Accelerated Master’s (BAM) degree program options offer currently enrolled CU Boulder undergraduate students the opportunity to receive a bachelor’s and master’s degree in a shorter period of time. Students receive the bachelor’s degree first, but begin taking graduate coursework as undergraduates (typically in their senior year). Because some courses are allowed to double count for both the bachelor’s and the master’s degrees, students receive a master’s degree in less time and at a lower cost than if they were to enroll in a stand-alone master’s degree program after completion of their baccalaureate degree. In addition, staying at CU Boulder to pursue a bachelor’s–accelerated master’s program enables students to continue working with their established faculty mentors.
- BS in Environmental Engineering, MS in Civil Engineering.
In order to gain admission to the BAM programs named above, a student must meet the following criteria:
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.250 or higher
- Have no MAPS deficiencies
- Have at least junior class standing
Students may take up to and including 12 hours while in the undergraduate program which can later be used toward the master’s degree. However, only 6 credits may be double counted toward the bachelor’s degree and the master’s degree. Students must apply to graduate with the bachelor’s degree, and apply to continue with the master’s degree, early in the semester in which the undergraduate requirements will be completed.
NOTE: Students who were admitted prior to July 2019 follow a concurrent Bachelor's/Master's structure (see below), and the two degrees are awarded simultaneously when requirements for both degrees are met.
Applying to the BAM Program
- Eligible students may apply for the BAM program by completing the "BAM Intent Form".
- Required Supporting Documents (please upload under “Upload supporting documents required by Department” when completing the BAM Intent Form)
- A one-page statement of purpose describing your academic/career goals and interests in pursuing a BAM program.
- A copy of your unofficial undergraduate transcript (available on MyCUInfo)
Graduation forms for BAM students
- Master's Continuation Form - submit this form during your last semester of your undergraduate degree.
Undergraduate students should contact their academic advisor (for the BS program) to learn more about BAM programs offered with their particular undergraduate degree program. Students are also welcome to contact the relevant graduate program advisor (for the MS program) to learn more about the master’s program and to determine their eligibility for admission to the BAM program.
Former Concurrent Bachelor’s Master’s Degree Program (not accepting new applications)
The minimum GPA for admission is 3.25. Students are expected to submit applications during the sixth or seventh semester of their undergraduate program. As a guideline, applications will be considered from students who have completed at least 75 credit hours, but not more than 110 credit hours, of the necessary coursework to satisfy the requirements of the Department BS degree.
The following is needed to complete an application:
- Application form (no application fee) must specify area of specialization
- Part II of Application
- Four letters of recommendation
- Civil, Architectural, or Environmental Engineering Undergrad Graduation Check form signed by the Department Undergraduate Office (Christina, Erin, Joanne) certifying number of required coursework hours completed
- Copy of internal transcript (available on MyCUInfo)
Contact Trinh Hansen for application materials.
Graduation Forms for BS/MS Students
- Concurrent Bachelor’s/ Master’s Certificate of Completion for Bachelor’s Degree - submit this form with Candidacy Application for Advanced Degree
- Concurrent Bachelor’s Master’s Degree Program Candidacy Supplement – submit this form with Candidacy Application for Advanced Degree