An effective job search requires a lot of preparation, research and persistence. Whether you are a recent graduate, in between jobs or hoping to transition into a new career, these job search strategies can help position yourself to impress potential employers.
Identify your interests
- Use self-assessments and industry research to target job functions, industries and geographic locations that interest you.
- Analyze requirements. Read through the job descriptions and make a list of desired skills for your area of interest.
Develop your materials
- Compare your skills and experiences to employer requirements. Develop your resume to highlight items that best match the job description.
- Complete online profiles to promote your skills, work samples and accomplishments.
- Explore job boards for positions that match your interests and skills. Use Handshake and search Forever Buffs Network and LinkedIn for opportunities and mutual connections.
- About 80 percent of most jobs aren't advertised. Network with alumni and others.
Practice makes perfect
Track your progress