Instructions for Completing the Online CITI Course on Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) for CU-Boulder Users
Note: This online course does not satisfy NIH requirements, only NSF requirements.
Go to the CITI website https://www.citiprogram.org/.
For New Users
If you are a new user, click on the Register Here link and register:
- Under Participating Institutions scroll down and click University of Colorado at Boulder;
- Create your username and password as instructed;
- Enter your name, CU-Boulder email address and complete remaining prompts. Click Submit;
- You will then be taken to a new page with contact information. Complete the page (required information is marked by an asterisk). Click Submit;
- A new page entitled “Select Curriculum – University of Colorado at Boulder” then will appear. Scroll down to the heading “Responsible Conduct of Research” and select the course appropriate for your discipline and/or field of research. All undergraduate students, regardless of field or discipline, should select the course for undergraduate students. Click Submit;
- You will then see a new page “Select your institution or organization”. If you wish only to be registered with the University of Colorado at Boulder, click No;
- A new page entitled Main Menu will appear. Under My Courses, Status click “Enter”. A new page showing a list of Elective Modules followed by Optional Modules will be shown. To begin, click on and complete The Integrity Assurance Statement. Continue;
- The lists of Elective Modules followed by Optional Modules will appear again. Complete each Elective Module (including the quiz at the end). Complete any Optional Modules of interest;
- Print out your CITI completion report for the course and retain a copy for your records.
For Previous Users
If you have already registered with CITI for their Human Subjects Research or Laboratory Animal Welfare courses, login with your username and password.
- A new page entitled Main Menu will appear. Click on “Add a course or update your learner groups for University of Colorado at Boulder”.
- A new page entitled “Select Curriculum – University of Colorado at Boulder” then will appear. Scroll down to the heading “Responsible Conduct of Research” and select the course appropriate for your discipline and/or field of research. All undergraduate students, regardless of field or discipline, should select the course for undergraduate students. Click “Continue.”
- Go to step 7 above and follow the instructions through step 10.
Additional Information for Users:
- You do not need to complete the course in one session. You may log-out at any time and return to complete modules at your convenience;
- You must complete all modules with a combined score of 80. If you would like to improve your score on a quiz you may repeat it.
- Review of the content and completion of the quizzes will take about 30-35 minutes per module for the main topics;
- If you are uncertain if you require training in the responsible conduct of research at CU-Boulder, please see the Responsible Research page, or contact the Responsible Conduct of Research Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org in the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research;
- For problems with the CITI course, technical support is available at email@example.com or call (305) 243-7970 (8 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST)
- Submit a voluntary, anonymous user satisfaction survey. It’s quick and will help inform us about the effectiveness of this on-line course.
- If students or postdocs complete an online RCR course other than through CU-Boulder, they must submit a “RCR Completion Form.” Sign the original and submit it to the RCR Coordinator (campus mailbox: UCB 26). Give a copy to your mentor/PI for the NIH- or NSF-funded award, and keep a copy for your records.
Thanks for your time and effort in completing this course on responsible conduct of research.