CITI is an online course aimed at educating on appropriate research practices. CU-Boulder requires all researchers complete and maintain training with a minimum score of 80/100. The CITI requirement applies to all research regardless of review categories.
CITI training is valid for 3 years after completion. After ever three years you must complete a refresher course. You will receive a reminder from CITI every 90, 30, and 7 days prior to training expiration to complete the refresher course. You will receive one final reminder one day after your certification expires. It is your responsibility to keep your CITI training current.
All research submissions will be returned without review if any key personnel (e.g. principal investigator, co-investigators, faculty advisor, etc.) on a study does not have a valid training status.
Investigators & Key Personnel
All researchers involved with a protocol being reviewed by the IRB will need to:
- Create an account using the CITI Training Website: www.citiprogram.org. NOTE: As of January 23, 2013, all new users must enter an Employee ID or POI number at registration.
- Complete the Social Behavioral Research Investigators and Key Personnel or Biomedical Research Investigators and Key Personnel course as appropriate for your research. The Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) course is separate from the human research courses and does not satisify IRB CITI requirements.
CITI Training Tutorials
Tips to Avoid Delays
- The IRB will not accept submissions with incomplete or expired CITI Training. ALL Investigators and Key Personnel must be up-to-date.
- In creating your account, use the name associated with your CU Identikey. Using nicknames, middle names and other variations cause delays. Your submission will be returned if we cannot locate your CITI status.
- Add your Employee ID or POI# to your CITI profile. This number is what eRA uses to retrieve your training record. If your profile does not have the correct identification number, the IRB office will not be aware of your current training status.
- Do not create multiple CITI accounts. If you have forgotten your username or password, click here. If you have multiple accounts, contact CITI support to merge your accounts.
- Once you have completed the training in the CITI system, your training will take 1 day to update in our system.
- If you received an 'Incomplete' due to CITI Training, you will need to submit a Response in eRA before the review can resume.
- Training is valid for 3 years. Complete the refresher course before study expiration or study renewal or you will risk your study's IRB approval.