You are here

Disclosure of External Professional Activities (DEPA) Form

This page provides information about the DEPA disclosure form, troubleshooting access problems, and who is required to submit the form.

  • To view a sample DEPA disclosure form before beginning a submission:                    DEPA Sample Form
  • All DEPA disclosure forms must be submitted electronically for tracking and auditing purposes.
  • We strongly recommend using the following browsers: Explorer, Firefox,  Safari.  
  • PHS/NIH required COI training is now imbedded in the DEPA reporting process- see PHS/NIH or Education tabs

To access the online DEPA reporting form: 

(Students, who are not employees, can access the DEPA by using the alternative instructions further down this page).


  1. Log in to MyCUInfo at
  2. Click on top tab: CU Resources. (If this tab does not appear, simply continue to Step 3.)
  3. Click on Faculty Reporting & DEPA (LOWER left side in blue shaded area; NOT in the upper left side that only says "Reporting". If this feature does not appear, please refer to the Need Assistance? section of these instructions).
  4. Then, scroll down until the DEPA link becomes visible, it appears after the FRPA information appears. Click on the grey bar with the words: Login to DEPA
  5. Follow the instructions on the DEPA reporting page

 STUDENTS, who are not employees (or who are employees):

  1. Log in to MyCUInfo at
  2. Scroll over and Click on: DEPA (LOWER right column)
  3. Follow the instructions on the DEPA reporting page

 Need Assistance?

  • You must be established in the CU personnel system with either a six digit  Employee ID number (EIN), or as a CU student, or with a Person of Interest ID number (POI) in order to access the DEPA reporting site. The POI Code Type should be either: External Trainee, Security Access, or Pre-Employment as other POI codes will not  provide access. For assistance with the POI process please contact the Personnel Payroll Liaison (PPL) for the department with which you are affiliated. (If you are certain that you have an active EIN or POI number and you still do not see the F aculty Reporting & DEPA feature, contact IT Help.)     NEW in Fall 2014:Students do not need an EIN or POI number if they access the DEPA through the student site.

  • IT Help: If you have technical difficulties logging into MyCUInfo, the Faculty Reporting & DEPA  feature, or accessing the link to the DEPA form, please assess your browser . We strongly recommend using the following browsers: Explorer, Firefox,  Safari. If difficulties persist please contact IT: or call: 303-735-4357 (5-HELP)

  • Content Help: If you have questions about the DEPA form, please see the Sample DEPA Form or email the Compliance Director, Conflicts of Interest and Commitment in the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research: or, simply, Or call 303-492-3024.

Who is required to submit the DEPA?

All faculty, and any other employee or student with responsibility for the design, conduct or reporting of research are considered critical to the research process and must disclose any significant financial interest and external professional activity that could compromise university decision making or duties. Projects and protocols submitted to the Office of Grants and Contracts or to the IRB cannot receive approval until an annual DEPA is submitted, reviewed and approved.   It is not for each individual researcher to decide if he/she must report based on a belief that no conflicts exist.  ALL personnel listed in the groups below must report, as stipulated, in order for the institution to be in compliance with federal regulations and institutional policies. 

The following University of Colorado Boulder personnel required to submit an annual Disclosure of External Professional Activities (DEPA) include:

  • ALL Tenure track faculty (assistant, associate, full professor)
  • ALL Adjunct faculty (assistant, associate, full professor) and Visiting faculty
  • NOTE: Adjoint faculty DO NOT need to submit
  • ALL Research professors (assistant, associate, full)
  • ALL Research employees with "research" in the title (e.g. professional research assistants [PRAs], senior professional research assistants, research associates, and senior research associates)
  • Museum associates
  • Librarians
  • Any KEY PERSONNEL involved in research who is supported in salary, supplies, space or other resources by grant funding. (This includes PIs, co-investigators, and may include coordinators, graduate students/students.)
  • Undergraduate students, Graduate students, Fellows-IF they are responsible for the design, conduct or reporting of research
  • Volunteers and consultants-IF they are responsible for the design conduct or reporting of research. (Non-university employees such as collaborators, consultants and subcontractors may be allowed to submit disclosure from another institution, depending upon funding agency requirements.)
  • Staff who negotiate or execute research agreements on behalf of UCB, staff of Contracts and Grants, and staff of the Technology Transfer Office, and members of research review committees
  • Note: Professional Exempt personnel (P.E.), Instructors (assistant, instructor, senior), Lecturers and Teaching Assistants DO NOT need to submit unless they are responsible for the design, conduct or reporting of research or negotiating or executing agreements on behalf of UCB. 

Are there ramifications of failure to comply?
Failure to submit a DEPA, or other violations of the Conflict of Interest and Commitment Policy and Procedures, can put an individual researcher, his/her research project(s), the associated department and the university, as a whole, at risk for sanctions. Therefore, disciplinary action as described in the Policy and Procedures may be employed to help mitigate infractions. Note,  research review committee approvals cannot proceed until requirements are met; grant awards and contract monies cannot be released; speedtypes may be frozen.

University of Colorado Boulder
© Regents of the University of Colorado
PrivacyLegal & Trademarks