Step One: Apply for Admission to CU Boulder

Any questions about the application process may be directed to the Admissions Office at

As a military service member looking to pursue a college education, we recommend you consult with your base's Educational Services Officer (ESO) prior to enrolling.

Step Two: Apply for your Education Benefit
  • Go to
    • Scroll down and click "How to Apply"
    • Scroll down and find the green button that says "Find your education benefits form"
    • Complete the application
    • A Certificate of Eligibility will be mailed to you about 4-6 weeks after you submit your application
  • If you've used your benefits elsewhere, you will need to fill out VA Form 22-1995 to indicate that you will now be using benefits at CU Boulder. 
Step Three: Apply for FAFSA
Step Four: Bring your Certificate of Eligibility to our office
  • Email a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to or bring a copy to our office in the CASE Building (Suite W322)
  • This document will be snail mailed to you from the VA upon your benefit approval
Step Five: If you are a non-resident, check with our office to see if you may qualify for residency
  • Veterans and Dependents may qualify for resident tuition rates based on university policy or VA policy, both require you to be physically living in the state
  • You can find all of CU Boulder's Residency Exceptions on the Tuition Classification Office's website. 
  • You can find the VA's Residency Exceptions on our website under the Prospective & New Students Tab.
Step Six: Authorize the College Opportunity Fund (COF)
  • Do this prior to the first day of the semester
  • This will flat rate your tuition once you are full time
  • First, apply for COF
  • Then, after College Assist has processed your online COF application, you need to authorize CU to apply the stipend to your tuition and fee bill. You can do it during preregistration or later through Buff Portal:
    • Log in to Buff Portal.
    • On the College Opportunity Fund (COF) card, click "View your COF status.
    • On the "COF Authorization/Review" page, find the correct term and click "Update Authorization."
    • Tick the checkbox next to "Authorize," then click "Submit."
  • Authorize the lifetime of COF so you don’t need to renew it each semester
  • For more information, please visit the Office of the Registrar's website
Step Seven: Register for classes

Be sure the classes are required for your degree – the VA will not pay for courses that are not required

  • You'll receive an email from the Office of the Registrar after your enrollment dates have posted. To check your enrollment dates:
  • After your enrollment dates end, registration remains open for current undergrad and grad students until the date specified on the academic calendar.
  • Once registration closes, you'll need to wait until the either the schedule adjustment (fall registration only) or open enrollment periods to change your schedule.

More information can be found on the Registrar's Website.

Step Eight: Fill out the Request for Enrollment Certification Form
  • The form must be submitted online (
  • This must be done every semester you want to use benefits – only after you register for classes
Step Nine: Notify our office of any schedule changes made after submitting the Request for Enrollment Certification Form

By phone 303-492-7322 or email

Step Ten: Call the GI Bill Hotline if you experience any payment issues

GI Bill Hotline: 1-888-442-4551