How do I apply for my GI Bill®?

Veterans or active duty members using the Post 9/11 GI Bill®, Montgomery GI Bill® or Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve and dependents using benefits must apply online at  

After you have successfully applied for the benefit, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) from the VA stating your percentage of eligibility and your months of entitlement. 

Once you receive this certificate from the VA please bring it to the Veteran Services Office, fax it to 303-492-1880, or email it to

How do I transfer my Post 9/11 GI Bill®?

The first step to transferring your benefit is to determine if you are eligible to transfer: Transferability and then Submit a Transfer Request.

After you have transferred your benefit, your dependent or spouse will need to apply for their benefits through

I'm getting ready to separate from the military and want to attend CU Boulder. What should I do?

First and foremost thank you for your service. We are happy you are considering the University of Colorado Boulder.

The first steps to becoming an undergraduate student at University of Colorado Boulder are as follows:

  1. Complete the application. More information specific to freshman and transfer students is available here
  2. Pay the application fee.
  3. You will need to submit transcripts from every high school and college you have attended (GED scores if applicable).
  4. Submit SAT/ACT scores if you have fewer than 24 transferrable college credit hours completed at the time you apply

Graduate student admissions are separate and more infomation can be found here.

I've been accepted to CU Boulder, what paperwork do I need to submit?

The Office of Veteran Services will need a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility. You can bring in a paper copy, scan or email it to our office.

Once you have enrolled in classes, please go to the forms page and submit the Request for Enrollment Certification. This form is also available in our office if would like to fill it out in person. Note: you will need to fill out a Request for Enrollment Certification form every term you elect to use your VA educational benefits.

Veterans that are currently being billed the out of state tuition rate will need to take a DD-214 and a copy of the US Armed Forces Veteran In-State Application to the Tuition Classification Office to be changed to the in-state tuition rate.

Dependents that are currently being billed the out of state tuition rate but are eligible for in-state rates according to the Choice Act Section 702 need to submit a copy of their sponsor's DD-214 to the Office of Veteran Services. 

How do I get the in-state tuition rate as a veteran?

You will be eligible for in-state tuition as soon as you arrive to take classes in person if you were honorably discharged from the Armed Forces. Please print out the U.S. Armed Forces Veteran In-State Applicationand return it to  the Tuition Classification Office located in the Registrar's Office, with a copy of your DD-214. For further information regarding Veterans, Military Personnel, and members of the Colorado National Guard, please refer to the Exceptions to the One-Year Domicile Requirements chart in the Tuition Classification Regulations for the University of Colorado Boulder: Registrar Tuition Regulations contact the Tuition Classification Office at (303) 492-6970.

How do I get the in-state tuition rate as a dependent?

CU Boulder is in full compliance with the Choice Act Section 702. Please consult the VA requirements page for an overview of what is required to receive in-state tuition. You must be using Post 9/11 Chapter 33 benefits or the Fry Scholarship to qualify for this exception. Additionally, students must enroll at CU Boulder within three years of your transferor's discharge from active duty. You are not eligible if they are still on active duty. 

To verify your eligibility the Office of Veteran Services will need a copy of your transferor's DD-214. You can bring in a paper copy, fax or email it to us.

For information on being billed as an in-state resident based on years of elementary and secondary school in the state of Colorado, please contact the Tuition Classification Office.

What is Yellow Ribbon?

Yellow Ribbon is a provision of the Post 9/11 GI Bill that allows out of state students to receive additional funding above the in-state cap. The GI Bill will cover the in-state portion of a student's tuition and Yellow Ribbon will provide up to $5000 more per semester. Most out of state students still owe a portion of tuition out of pocket when using Yellow Ribbon. Because this award is only for out of state students, veterans attending classes on campus do not need to apply; they are eligible to be billed as in-state students. This award is typically only given to dependents. Active duty students are not eligible for Yellow Ribbon funds. 

Yellow Ribbon: CU Boulder pays up to $2,500 a semester and the VA matches this amount for a total of up to $5,000 a semester or up to $10,000 per academic year.

  • The Yellow Ribbon award is a Fall / Spring award only
  • Must be billed as an out of state student
  • Student must be 100% eligible for the GI Bill
  • We will not retroactively award Yellow Ribbon
  • The Yellow Ribbon application should be turned in with the Request for Enrollment Certification form so we don't create a certification for you without the Yellow Ribbon award in place.

CU Boulder grants an unlimited number of Yellow Ribbon awards. To apply, please complete the Yellow Ribbon application on the Forms tab our website.

Dependents attending CU Boulder within three years of their sponsor's separation from active duty could be eligible to be billed as in-state residents. More information about this can be found under "How do I get the in-state tuition rate as a dependent?" located on this page.

How much tuition am I responsible for if I do not qualify for in-state tuition?

The University of Colorado Boulder offers in-state tuition to Veterans. Information on the process to be billed at the in-state rate is available above. 

The VA will pay the in-state tuition rate and required fees directly to the school. Out of state dependent students are responsible for the difference between what the VA will pay and what the school charges.

The Bursar's Office has information on the cost of attending CU. To estimate what you will potentially owe to the school you can compare the in-state tuition rate to the out of state tuition for your specific program.

Yellow Ribbon: CU Boulder pays up to $2,500 a semester and the VA matches this amount for a total of up to $5,000 a semester or up to $10,000 per academic year.

  • The Yellow Ribbon award is a Fall / Spring award only
  • We will not retroactively award Yellow Ribbon
  • The Yellow Ribbon application should be turned in with the Request for Enrollment Certification form so we don't create a certification for you without the Yellow Ribbon award in place.
How does the monthly housing allowance work?

Students who attend classes greater than 1/2 time receive a Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA). The MHA is based on the DoD's Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for an E-5 with dependents. As of Fall 2016, the MHA for University of Colorado Boulder students will be $1839.00 per month. The MHA is paid based on the number of days the student was enrolled for the previous month. For students enrolled full time for an entire month the MHA payment will be disbursed directly to the student at the beginning of the following month.

If you attend only online classes at CU Boulder, you will receive a MHA payment for $805.50 equal to half the national average. Hybrid courses are considered online courses for VA purposes.

All MHA payments are tax free.

When will I receive my Monthly Housing Allowance and how much will I receive?

Your payment should arrive around the 1st of each month. You will be paid for the days enrolled for the previous month.

     -Example:  Because the spring term starts on January 17th; you are enrolled from the 17th through the 31st, which amounts to $858.20. *The VA considers all months to be 30 days.

For Example, a full month of enrollment = 30 days x $61.30 per day = $1839.00

January MHA = $858.20 (Full-Time), classes start on the 17th and is paid on February 1st.

February MHA = $1839.00 (Full-Time), paid on March 1st.

March MHA = $1839.00 (Full-Time), paid on April 1st.

April MHA = $1839.00 (Full-Time), paid on May 1st.

May MHA = $674.30 (Full-Time), only enrolled until May 11th, paid on June 1st.

Total MHA for the Spring 2017 semester= $7049.50

What If I haven’t received my MHA?

Verify with Veteran Services via phone, e-mail or in person that we have received and processed your request for enrollment for the specified term. If we have, then contact the GI Bill hotline at 1-888-442-4551.

When will I receive money for books & supplies and how much will I receive?

The VA will typically deposit the book & supply stipend within a couple of weeks after they have processed your certification. The book stipend is paid by the VA at $41.67 per credit hour, up to $1000.00 per academic year. 

     -Example:  This Fall you are enrolled in 14 credit hours, so you will receive $41.67 x 14 = $583.38. Your balance for the rest of the academic year will be $1000.00 - $538.38 = $416.62 or 10 credits worth of book stipend. 

When will the VA pay my tuition and fees?

The University of Colorado Boulder has a system in place called 3rd Party Billing. With this system in place, a contingency payment will be posted to your account until the VA actually pays for your tuition and mandatory fees. This payment helps you receive any Financial Aid refunds you might be eligible for sooner and also helps you avoid late and finance charges. The contingency payment posted is based off of the eligibility percentage shown on your COE.

It can take several weeks or months for your actual payment to be received from the VA. Once the VA payment has been received, our 3rd party billing office will reconcile the VA payment with the contingency payment. If the payment received is different than the contingency payment, this could create an overpayment or an underpayment. 

Any non-mandatory fees (parking fees, theater tickets, season tickets, etc) that appear on your bill will not be paid by the VA. These amounts will not be covered by the contingency payment and you are responsible for paying this portion on time. Out of state students and students not receiving benefits at 100% must pay their portion of the bill prior to the bill due date. Students are responsible for paying late and finance charges accrued because they have not paid their portion of the bill. 

It is also a very good idea to set up an eBenefits account to track your benefit usage. You can do this here, eBenefits.

Why did I receive a letter from the VA saying tuition and fees weren't charged?

We initially submit only credit hours to the VA to initiate your Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA). Once the add/drop dates pass, we audit the charges on your account and submit your tuition and fees to the VA. Please keep in mind that the VA does not recognize the university's add/drop policy. Once classes begin they will adjust and prorate the amount we certified you for accordingly. You really need to have your schedule set by the first day of term or you run the risk or receiving debt letters.

Will the VA pay for self-paced courses?

Self-paced courses cannot be certified to the VA until they have been completed. The VA requires that we submit enrollments with the actual start and end date of a class, and those dates are not determined until you have received a grade for self-paced courses. You will be responsible for paying the cost of the tuition up front and the VA will pay after the course is completed. These credit hours will also not be included in your total credit hour amount reported to the VA. If you are enrolled in other courses at the same time as the self-paced course you may receive housing payments based on those dates. Any housing payment you are eligible for based on the self-paced course will be back paid after the course has been completed and certified to the VA. If you are concerned about housing payments, it is best to maintain full time status with your other courses so that the self-paced course has less influence on your housing payment.

Will the VA pay for a tutor?

Yes, the VA can provide Tutorial Assistance. Here is the current information from the VA. 

Available Benefit and Eligibility

Chapter 30, 33, 35, and 1606

Tutorial assistance may be paid to students under Chapters 30, 33, 35 and 1606. Tutorial assistance is not authorized for Chapter 1607 at this time. Tutorial assistance helps the student pay for necessary tutoring and is a supplement to the student's regular education benefit.


VA may pay tutorial assistance to a student receiving education benefits.

The monthly rate may not exceed the cost of tutoring or $100 per month. The maximum amount payable is $1200 per student per benefit program. There is no entitlement charge for the first $600 under Chapter 30 and 1606. There is no entitlement charge under Chapter 33 or 35.

The student, tutor, and certifying official must complete an Application and Enrollment Certification for Individualized Tutorial Assistance (VA Form 22-1990t). The application may be submitted at the end of each month or combination of months. The application must be signed and dated on or after the date of the last tutoring session certified. VA can pay for tutorial assistance during the one-year period before the date VA receives the application.

The University of Colorado Boulder certifying official will need to sign your form in person. We cannot accept scanned or emailed copies of the form at this time.


All of the following criterion must be met for a student to be eligible for tutorial assistance.

  • The student must be in a post-secondary program ½-time or more. For Chapter 33, rate of pursuit must be “at least 50%.”
  • The student must have a deficiency in a course that is part of his or her approved program.
  • The student must be enrolled in the course during the quarter, semester, or term in which the tutoring is received for the course. Tutoring may not occur between quarters or semesters.
Will the VA pay for insurance?

Our campus requires you to have insurance and if you don’t opt out of insurance you will automatically be billed for the Student Gold Insurance Plan. For students using Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits this cost is considered mandatory. As a result, we consider the insurance charge a mandatory fee and will include this charge in the amount reported to the VA for tuition and mandatory fees.

  • There are some caveats:
    • The VA will only pay for the Student Gold Insurance Plan; they will not cover the Campus Care Plan. The Campus Care Plan is not a stand-alone insurance plan, so it will not satisfy this requirement for the university and will not be considered a mandatory fee.
    • If you are only enrolled in less than 6 credit hours, online courses only, you are attending as a non-degree student, or you are starting school as a new student during the summer, insurance is no longer considered a mandatory fee and the VA will NOT cover it.
  • Most of our veterans and dependents using transferred benefits do enroll in the Student Gold Insurance Plan.
  • Please keep in mind also, that if we certify you with the insurance charge on your account and then you drop the insurance you will have to repay this amount.
  • Please go to this link for more information regarding health insurance at the University of Colorado Boulder.
Will the VA pay for Education Abroad (Study Abroad)?

Yes, but the VA will only pay the in-state tuition and fees for the corresponding credit hours as if you were attending on the CU campus. They will only pay for classes that count towards your degree at CU Boulder. You will still receive your monthly housing allowance if you maintain eligibility according to the normal rules regarding the housing payment. The VA will only pay for the official start and end dates for the term as it is listed in CU's Student information system. This is important to remember if you attending a program that requires you to be there early.

The Education Abroad Office will put a credit placeholder on your account until you return to CU and provide them with your actual transcripts. Be aware that if you take less hours than you were registered for based on what the Education Abroad Offices tells us through your certificaiton form, you may owe the VA money. 

Please complete the Education Abroad Certifcation Form that is available on this website under "Forms."

Here is a link to the Study Abroad FAQ sheet.

What do I do if I've been called to active duty?

The University of Colorado-Boulder cares about your continuing service to our Nation.  In the event you are called to active duty, we have a "Called to Active Duty" system in place to help you make this transition as smoothly as possible.