Forever Buff Melissa Stockwell is representing Team USA in the Paralympic Games in Tokyo. Not her first time on the world stage, Stockwell is competing in triathlon, and for these games, she served as co-flag bearer at the opening ceremonies.
Stockwell, the 2016 Paralympics bronze medalist in the triathlon, will be competing on Friday, Aug. 27, at 3:30 p.m. Mountain Time in the women's triathlon finals.
During this year's opening ceremonies, Stockwell served as Team USA's co-flag bearer alongside wheelchair rugby player Chuck Aoki. This is the second time that Stockwell carried the U.S. flag at the Paralympic Games; she previously served as Team USA's flag bearer at the 2008 Paralympics Games closing ceremonies in Beijing.
- CNN (video)—"This US soldier lost a leg to a roadside bomb in Iraq. Now, Melissa Stockwell aims for gold in Tokyo"
- CBS This Morning (video)—"U.S. Army veteran Melissa Stockwell on her journey to Tokyo and what it means to serve on Team USA"
- NBC—"Meet the Paralympian: Melissa Stockwell"
- Forbes—"Paralympic triathlete Melissa Stockwell has her eyes on the Tokyo Games barely two months after crash"
- Colorado Springs Gazette—"Colorado Springs veteran, Purple Heart recipient is a Paralympic Games flag bearer"