There are many different ways we can give back to positively impact our community. For those who are looking to give back this season, the Volunteer Resource Center has provided many helpful tips in their Holiday Season Volunteer Ideas and Tips (PDF). Here are just a few ideas to get you started.
Traditional ways to give back
- Assist food pantries and shelters to prepare and serve meals.
- Collect, distribute and donate items such as warm socks and winter gloves, gently used clothing and toys. You can also support an ongoing drive like the Giving Tree with A Precious Child, running Nov. 23 to Dec. 21 at the Flatiron Crossing Mall.
- If you choose to exchange gifts, select products that make a difference. Check out the Women’s Bean Project for an example.
Giving back in new ways
- Shovel snow, clean up yards, parks and public spaces in your neighborhood. Sign up for the SnowBusters program to help elderly community members in Boulder shovel their sidewalks.
- Volunteer at a youth center such as Attention Homes.
- Get involved with LGBTQ+ initiatives, and find ways to show support for those who may not be connected with or accepted by their families.
Things to keep in mind
- Before donating items, always ensure the receiving individual or organization can actually use the items.
- Many organizations experience a shortage in volunteer support directly after the holidays—be open to volunteering when your work is most needed.
View more tips and ideas in this Holiday Volunteer Guide (PDF) developed by Foothills United Way.