Published: Oct. 22, 2018

As a college student, you could find yourself in a situation that you’re not sure how to handle. If you’re concerned about the health and safety of a fellow Buff, calling for help is always the right thing to do.

Signs of alcohol poisoning
  • Passed out and unresponsive
  • Fewer than 12 breaths per minute
  • Vomiting while passed out
  • Pale/bluish or cool/clammy skin
  • Uncontrolled peeing or pooping

If a person shows any signs of alcohol poisoning, call 911 and put them in the recovery position.

Learn More About Alcohol Poisoning & the Recovery Position

What is the Amnesty Policy?

Calling for help in an alcohol- or drug-related emergency means neither the person who calls for help nor the person who needs help will be subject to formal disciplinary sanctions by the university (i.e., probation, suspension, expulsion).

How does it work?

To be covered by the Amnesty Policy, the student must:

  • Call for help (911 or university staff).
  • Stay with the intoxicated individual until help arrives. If the individual is showing signs of alcohol poisoning, put them in the recovery position.
  • Cooperate with staff and emergency responders.

The student must fully comply with police and medical responders for the Amnesty Policy to be considered.

Additional questions?

Contact the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution or review the Student Code of Conduct (PDF) for more information about the Amnesty Policy.