Know the signs
- Passed out and unresponsive
- Fewer than 12 breaths/minute
- Vomiting while passed out
- Pale/bluish or cool/clammy skin
- Uncontrolled peeing or pooping
If the person shows any signs of alcohol poisoning:
- Call 911 and put them in the recovery position (below)
- If the person may have used opiates in any form, including pain pills, administering naloxone can reverse an overdose
- Stay with the person until help arrives
Learn more about CU Boulder's Amnesty Policy.
Putting someone in the recovery position will keep their airway clear and open. It also ensures that any vomit or fluid won't cause them to choke.