The University of Colorado Boulder Police Department (CUPD) held a promotion ceremony Monday for six sworn personnel and three civilians at the Boulder Municipal Court. The Honorable Judge Linda Cooke led the ceremony.
The sworn personnel promoted were:
- Marc Mustoe, who was promoted from police officer intern to police officer
- Clay Austin and Urie VonFeldt, who were promoted from police officers to corporals
- Josh Ferguson, who was promoted from corporal to sergeant
- Paula Balafas and Michael Lowry, who were promoted to commanders
Lowry has been with CUPD for 18 years, where he has worked as a police officer, corporal and sergeant. As a sergeant, Lowry supervised patrol, detectives, professional standards and events. He has also worked with the Boulder County Sheriff’s Office and as a consultant with the Iraqi police. In his free time, Lowry enjoys traveling and playing hockey.
Balafas comes to CUPD from Cherry Hills Village Police, where she spent four and a half years as a sergeant. Prior to her work there, Balafas worked for the Wheat Ridge Police Department for more than 20 years working in patrol, crime prevention and professional standards and with the Denver Sheriff’s Office for three and half years. Balafas has both a bachelor’s and a master’s degree from CU Boulder.
The promoted civilians were:
- Lisa McCammon, who was promoted from data entry technician to records technician
- Frances Norton, who was promoted from records technician to records, property and evidence and fleet manager
- Susan Matthews, who was promoted from records, property and evidence and fleet manager to director of support services
Matthews has worked as the records, property and evidence and fleet manager for seven years. Before that, she was a welfare fraud investigator for Jefferson County for three years. Matthews has also worked for the Boulder County Sheriff’s Office for more than 20 years in support services, operations and the drug task force. Matthews holds a bachelor’s degree from Regis University and a master’s degree from Utica College.
Congratulations to all CUPD employees on your promotions and keeping the campus safe!