The Assistant Vice Chancellor (AVC) for Safety is responsible for broad oversight, planning, organization and coordination of all campus safety functions for CU Boulder. These responsibilities include campus police, environmental, health and safety, oversight of crisis management and coordination of campus-wide response teams in the event of an emergency. The senior-level administrative position reports directly to the Vice Chancellor for Infrastructure and Safety.
The AVC, in collaboration with all campus stakeholders, develops and maintains a cohesive, effective and innovative campus and public safety program that is consistent with the vision of the Chancellor and other senior campus leaders. Areas of Focus will include:
- Culture change – inculcate a culture of safety responsibility across the entire campus population
- Develop a safety communications strategy
- Ensure that compliance issues do not adversely impact our research mission
- Develop relevant policies and standards to ensure interoperability of public safety technologies.
- Create a strategy for public safety and communications technology and infrastructure to effectively communicate with our University constituents as well as the local community (radio infrastructure, alert systems, social media, etc.)
- Safety Training and Awareness - enlisting the campus community to be active and aware of their environment and give them the tools to identify and report issues
- Shift from reactive to proactive operations focusing on preventing issues from occurring versus mitigating issues as they arise
- Proactively plan for possible emergencies to enable our first responders to quickly mitigate, respond and recover from emergencies
- Develop polices to minimize generation of hazardous waste through collaboration with faculty and the procurement office
- Lead workforce/workplace safety initiatives and enhance the industrial hygiene program. Effectively review, manage, and mitigate workers’ compensation issues.
The position needs a strong leader to champion safety throughout the campus and community.
The AVC provides leadership support to the University of Colorado Boulder Police Department (CUPD) and the Department of Environmental Health and Safety, through establishing performance standards for these units and managing the annual budget development and control of a general fund budget. The AVC engages in long-term strategic planning to meet future campus safety needs and represents the University in all facets of safety with the local community and may interact regularly with local government officials and staff concerning safety and emergency preparedness.
Salary will be commensurate with skills and experience.
Minimum requirements include:
- A progressive career in professional law enforcement, military/government service, public safety and/or environmental safety, including a minimum of five years of senior command and administrative experience in a department of similar size and scope in a comparable college or university or community is required.
- Position requires an individual with strong leadership and motivational skills, an open and participatory management style, a history of staff development, budgeting and employee relations skills.
- An ability to relate positively with diverse communities is required.
- Knowledge of and successful experience in modern police management and safety principles and practices, particularly with regard to emerging law enforcement and environmental health regulatory issues in higher education, are also required.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively and coordinate with other law enforcement and regulatory agencies and community constituencies is required.
- Bachelor’s degree. (Additional professional experience within law enforcement, public safety, environmental safety, military and or government services may substitute for the bachelor's degree on a year-for year basis.)
To apply, please submit the following materials to HR Consultant Pam Gross at email@example.com by Monday, Oct. 3:
- A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
- A current resume.