I am an international student but I went to college in the United States. To apply for the MA, do I need to take the TOEFL again? --What about the GRE?

You don’t need to retake the TOEFL if you have completed at least one year of full-time secondary or post-secondary study at a U.S. institution, or at an institution in a country where English is the native language, at the time you apply, and within two years from your desired admission term.

Graduate applicants whose language of secondary or post-secondary education was not English must show evidence of English proficiency by earning a score of 550 or higher on the paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or a score of 79 or higher on the web-based version of the test. If the IELTS is used in place of the TOEFL, the minimum required score is 6.5.

To summarize: Every MA application must include results from either the GRE or the TOEFL/IELTS, as appropriate.

If I apply and am accepted to the professional TESOL program, but after enrolling in the program I find that I’d like to pursue interests in other areas of linguistics, would I have a problem switching to the general program?

There shouldn’t be a problem for a student in good standing to make changes in course plan after the first or second semester, during which almost all MA students are taking the same required Linguistics courses. Contact the TESOL Advisor or Graduate Advisor regarding any program changes you wish to make. 

Do I have need to have proficiency a language other than English to apply?

Knowledge of a language other than one’s native language, at a level of proficiency at least equivalent to the third year college level, is a prerequisite to admission to the MA. Passing five or more credits of college coursework in a language at the third year level with a grade of B or better satisfies this requirement. If your language proficiency is not the result of formal study, see your advisor about arranging an evaluation of your skills. International students whose education has been primarily in a language other than English may count English as their foreign language at the MA level. 

I am an MA student in another university’s TESOL/Linguistics program and I wish to transfer to the program at CU-Boulder. Do you take transfer students?

Potential transfer applicants are encouraged to contact the TESOL Advisor to discuss their transfer situation, and if/how any completed work might transfer (count). Graduate applications in our Department are reviewed just once a year, for fall admission. A maximum of 9 graduate credit hours earned in another institution may be counted toward a CU-Boulder master’s degree.

How do I obtain a teaching site for the Practicum?

Part of the responsibilities of the TESOL Advisor is to assist you in getting a placement in a program that serves ESL students, and to which your schedule, as well as background interests and goals, is well matched. The placement process is generally begun at least one semester before you are enrolled in the Practicum.

How long will it take me to complete the PMA with TESOL emphasis?

Most students take two academic years to complete the program by taking 5 courses (15 graduate credit hours) each year.  

I may be interested in going on for the PhD in TESOL/Applied Linguistics after my PMA TESOL program. Will it be possible for me to continue as a PhD student in this area?

Our Department does not offer a doctoral program in applied linguistics areas at this time. However, a number of our PMA graduates have gone on to study in doctoral programs in applied linguistics at other universities, or in other areas at CU or elsewhere, for example, in Education or Chinese Linguistics.

Do you offer assistantships?

We do not have assistantships for PMA TESOL students. However, many PMA students who come with relevant teaching experience find part-time positions in English centers or writing programs, while others do private tutoring. The TESOL Advisor is ready to provide assistance in the job search.

What type of housing is available for students?

Graduate students generally live off campus (usually in apartments in the Boulder area) or in university family housing. Please take a look at Off Campus Housing  or on-campus housing with Housing and Dining Services.