The Faculty & Staff Assistance Program (FSAP) is dedicated to serving the emotional and psychological needs of the campus community.

What is an Employee Assistance Program (EAP)?

An EAP is a voluntary and confidential counseling service to help employees at all levels who have personal concerns that affect their personal well-being and/or work performance. FSAP is an internal EAP, meaning we only serve CU Boulder employees and we are CU Boulder employees ourselves. 

What can I expect from counseling?
  • There are many reasons why people decide to go to counseling. Some are feeling upset or anxious about aspects of life, relationship, or work. Others are working on addressing things like imposter’s syndrome or work-life balance. And many like to attend counseling as part of their regular, annual wellness check-ups, similar to an annual physical examination with your primary care physician.
  • Your FSAP counselor will work with you to understand your needs and work towards solutions that work. FSAP counselors strive to be understanding, non-judgmental, and compassionate to your unique situation.
  • When you are assigned your FSAP counselor, you’ll be asked to complete intake paperwork that will support you and your counselor in better understanding how to best meet your needs.
  • In your appointment, you and your counselor will work together to try to find real and effective solutions and ideas for your situation. We sometimes compare counseling to a laboratory: it’s a safe environment to experiment on new ways of thinking, feeling, and behaving.
What platforms can be used for counseling at FSAP?

FSAP offers services via in-person, virtual, or phone. Appointments are required outside of drop-in hours.

Who has access to FSAP services?
  • You must be a CU Boulder employee to use FSAP services, and services are available no cost to CU Boulder faculty and staff members. Due to license restrictions, you must be physically within the State of Colorado at the time of service.
  • FSAP reserves the right at all times to refuse services to an employee if it is deemed that FSAP is not or is no longer the most appropriate or clinically relevant place to receive care. Community referrals will be made in these instances.
How many sessions do I get with FSAP? What is a rolling year?

Eligible employees are allotted up to 7 sessions per rolling year. Your sessions do not need to be scheduled all at once, and can be stretched throughout the year if desired. A rolling year begins the day you begin services, i.e. the date of your first appointment.

What happens after my 7 sessions?

Your counselor can help you identify community referrals as you approach the end of your 7 sessions. 

Can I use my insurance to pay for additional sessions?

FSAP does not accept payments of any form, including insurance, to pay for additional sessions.

Can FSAP see me if I'm out of state?

Due to license restrictions, FSAP counselors are only able to see employees who are physically within the State of Colorado at the time of the appointment. Out-of-state employees may contact FSAP for community referrals, or explore counseling options through Thriving Campus.

Do I have to use leave or request time off to attend an FSAP appointment during work hours?

Generally speaking, no. Most supervisors consider FSAP counseling services as an additional perk working for CU Boulder that can be utilized during work hours without having to take paid time-off. If your supervisor has questions about this, have them contact our office.

How is my personal information used?

Demographic data may be used for reporting purposes and for identifying trends to better improve accessibility to our services. No identifying data is ever published alongside this data. Additionally, licensed counselors are legally required to record and store session notes. These are stored in a HIPAA-compliant database.

Can FSAP offer counseling to those with accommodations needs, such as vision or hearing impairment?

FSAP is committed to providing universal access to our services. Please contact to request disability accommodations. Advance notice is necessary to arrange for some accessibility needs.

Is the Administrative & Research Center building wheelchair accessible?

Yes. There is elevator access in the front and back entrances of the ARCE building. Take the elevator to the third floor and speak to the front desk or follow the signs from there.