University Perspective Program
Since 1987, the University Perspective program has developed and deepened the leadership capacity of staff on the University of Colorado Boulder campus. Participants gain firsthand knowledge of the university through meetings with senior leaders on the Boulder campus and each of the other three campuses in the CU System and the CU System Office. The program is sponsored by Organizational and Employee Development (OED) in the Department of Human Resources. Applications are being accepted for the 2022-23 program.
The purpose of the University Perspectives program is to provide an in-depth engagement program for campus staff from all levels of the organization by:
- Providing small group conversations with campus leaders that deepen the participant’s knowledge of university operations, and enhance their perspective on the impact of their own work on the mission of the University of Colorado.
- Increasing awareness of and fostering a deep appreciation for the unique role each campus in the CU System has in meeting the higher education needs of the state of Colorado.
- Providing insight into the University's unique and important relationships, including the City of Boulder, the Board of Regents, and the State Legislature.
- Engaging staff in discussions with successful leaders who share personal experiences and advice that contribute to professional growth in leadership, management, and career success.
- Providing a cross-campus network of professional peers.
Duration: The University Perspective program is a nine-month program that runs from September 2022 through May 2023.
Format: We anticipate a hybrid program, combining both in-person and virtual events based on leadership preference and availability. In person events and meetings will happen in accordance with CU Boulder event and meeting guidelines at that time.
The schedule of program topics is posted here. The University Perspective program is a robust yearlong experience. You can plan on spending 4-8 hours per month participating in program activities and meetings from September through May
CU Boulder Sessions
- Fall Kick Off
- Chancellor Philip DiStefano
- Campus Architect & Tour
- Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
- Executive Vice Chancellor and Chief Operating Officer
- Vice Chancellor for Research
- Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs
- Vice Chancellor for Advancement
- City of Boulder Manager
- Diversity and Inclusion Summit
- Senior Vice Chancellor for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Senior Associate Athletics Director
- CUSG Student Leaders
- CU Boulder Campus Budget Model
CU System Office and Other Campuses
- CU System Offices
- CU Regents
- Anschutz Medical Center
- University of Colorado Denver
- University of Colorado, Colorado Springs
How to Apply
Completed applications must be received by Human Resources by Friday, July 15 at 12:00 a.m. The application is a Google form. No additional letters or documentation besides the application will be required or accepted.
Applications will be reviewed and final selections made by the applicant’s Division leadership. The University Perspective program manager will notify applicants of their status in mid-August, prior to the start of the fall semester.
What We Require
- Be a staff member at CU Boulder
- Have support of immediate Supervisor to participate in the program
- Be able to fully participate in all program sessions (estimated to be a time commitment of 4 to 8 hours per month from September 2022 through May 2023)
What We Would Like You to Have
Ideal candidates for this program possess one or more of these characteristics:
- Current and emerging leaders who are advancing in their career
- Mid-level managers who have come to the university from outside higher education
- Experienced professionals prepared to learn about and appreciate how the university functions as a complex organization, and how their role relates and contributes to the organization
Alyssa Willet, M.Ed.
Senior Training and Development Specialist
University Perspective Program Manager
Department of Human Resources at CU Boulder
2022-23 UP Program Application
Application Deadline: July 15, 2022, 12:00am
Excellence in Leadership Program (ELP)
The Excellence in Leadership Program (ELP), hosted by the CU System Employee Services Office provides an opportunity for faculty and staff from the four CU System campuses to become more effective leaders.Each of the four campuses nominate high-potential, high-performing faculty and staff to participate. The nomination process occurs each summer and the program begins in September. Self-nominations are not accepted. For information on the Excellence in Leadership Program, visit ELP program website or contact the CU Boulder liaisons:
For information regarding faculty participation:
- Dr. Suzanne Soled, Director of Faculty Relations, Office of Faculty Affairs, 49 UCB, 2055 Regent Drive, Suite 350, Boulder, CO 80309. 303-492-0447
For information regarding staff participation:
- Dr. Merna Jacobsen, Associate Vice Chancellor and Director, Organization and Employee Development, Administrative Research Center (ARC)
- 3100 Marine Street, Third Floor, 565 UCB, Boulder, CO 80309 303-735-1249